NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to hobucken on sat morning lookin an old drum on artificial and the conditions were horrible. It felt like a tropical storm, so we hid out of the wind and managed 3 keeper flounder out of 7. Biggest was 19".

Went toBelhaven on sunday and the watet looked like chocolate milk. Jumped around looking for clean water and only caught 5 small ones. Around 11 we almost threw in the towel when I thought of one more spot to try. Pulled up and put four big flounder in the boat in 20 min. Went back to the ramp and had to wait on boat traffic, so we fished around some docks and put one more in the cooler. All five were between 17 and 19 inches. Tough conditions all weekend but persistence paid off.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice work on the flatties. I'm thinking of hitting Hobucken this Saturday. Was gonna fish the north side of Jones Bay since the wind will be out of the north. Couple of questions if you don't mind. Where did you put in? I've only been there once and put in near Mayo's Seafood ($5 pay ramp). Do the flounder tend to like the water crashing on the banks they're facing? I like to cast into the wind so that I'm not getting pushed up on the bank by the wind. Not sure if that's the right strategy or not. Thanks for any help,
Stump.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We fished all over trying to hide out of the wind. The north end of jones bay is a good spot. Dont be afraid to try some of the creeks and back waters off the bay river too. Im planning on going down there on sat too, i'll be on a 17' sea pro with a power pole. im planningon chasingsome old drum, but it all depends on water conditions. Pm me for a cell number and i'll try to help u anyway that I can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got out there today at 5:45. Between me and my fishing buddy we managed about 12 flounder, 2 trout, two croaker and a pesky pin fish. No keepers but 3 flounder were 14.75 inches. Both trout were about 12". Tried popping corks near the middle of the bay in about 7' of water but wind was whipping and the boat was rocking too hard. After about 20 minutes, we went back to the flounder. All in all a good day.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got to Hobucken on sat in search of an ole drum. Threw popping corks til 11 with one good bite. Fish hit hard and pulled drag for about 5 seconds and then nada. Switched to flounder fishin to hide from the wind and managed about 15 flounder with 2 keepers by 1 oclock and called it a day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.