NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first boat (16ft tri hull ski boat) and i bought a used 8hp Mercury Mariner long shaft 2 cycle motor.

The first two times i took the boat out it ran like a champ and i was thrilled. The next couple times i have been out it stalls out and will not run half as fast.

The guy i bought the motor from was real knowledgable and he had replaced the carbuerator spark plugs etc. the **** thing looks like you could eat off it on the inside.

i sprayed carb cleaner in it and that helped for a little bit but not long. it is spraying water out the back so its pumping water fine.

i thought maybe i put too much 2 cycle oil in the tank at first so i tried to thin it a little with another gallon of gas and that did not help.

any suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Now and then a plug breaks down internally or it could be a loose or bad wire. No matter what is wrong with it you need a whole lot more motor on that boat. How about giving me your problem and buying you a new 50 Honda. You could forget about motor problems then.:D

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
like i said though, the first couple of times out the motor worked just fine.

i know it is small but it is what i could afford. **** its better than a battery powered trolling motor the way i figure.

the choke is pushed in and the carb responds when you pull it in and out. ill check the fuel line though. the spark plugs are brand new.

just curious how much would a Honda 50 cost (even though i have gotten the most i can before my wife flips)

thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
It would only depress you to find out what a 50 horse Honda goes for these days. You would think you could buy an airplane for that. Hey if you can't fix the merc I think I know where some small jet engines might be layin' around!!:D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Could be a clogged jet, bad fuel, condensation (water) building up in tank. What year is the motor?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
first i really appreciate the replies guys. this site is great.

i have a brand new tank. yeah i am thinking fuel problem too. i am finally going to get to play with my boat this weekend.

i guess it may be stress on the motor but it just pushed the boat so well the first two times i went out i just cant see it.

thanks a lot guys

·
Registered
709 Posts
just one more reply on this. Originally my thinking was overheating the pistons and them seizing up but the fuel would make more sense. If it starts runnung rough you might try pumping the bulb and see if it will run correctly for a short period. If so I would say the carb. is blocked. In essence you're forcing gas past the obstruction. This happened on my 115 one time. As long as my wife pumped the bulb it would run because we were forcing gas into the carb.
Gery

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I had a similar problem with my Evinrude and it was air being sucked into the fuel line because of a bad o ring in the coupling at my tank. If I pumped the bulb it would smooth out and run faster. I just had to remove the coupling and replace it. I also have seem people use regular automotive fuel line and have it get kinked and suck shut.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Hey if you can't fix the merc I think I know where some small jet engines might be layin' around!!:D
Which type of "jet" engine?

Oops did I say that out loud? :eek:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone ever have to paddle in?

I went out on oak hollow tonight and my motor finally quit.

I am going to the coast next weekend and don't want to paddle in out there.

anyone know a good economical motor mechanic in the triad?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.