NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys you need to get some big swimbaits and a dedicated swimbait rod. Awesome stuff catching bass on big swimbaits.
So, last weekend I fished one of my favorite rivers and for some reason I took my swimbait rod and a few swimbaits. The one I tied on was a Megabass Magdraft (it is also one of the smallest I have)
The Stripers were crushing it, with 3-4 caught in the 8-10 lb range and then I waded to a spot and threw below a rapid.
BAM! Then after a good fight I get in a 4 lb spot ! PB Spot ! awesome fish, take a few pics and let her go. Throw back out and BAM ! another big un. Head comes up and I was like this cant be?? two monsters in a row?? got her in and got my first good Bass over 5 this year at 8 lbs.
You can see the swimbait in the stripers mouth.
Check out my Youtube channel Mack's Extreme River fishing as this was one Extreme Day!! This video wont be out for a month or so as I am that far behind on videos though. 5 I think.
GOPR3563-1.jpg

GOPR3564-6.jpg

big striper on swimbait.jpg

The Swimbait rod/outfit is a Bantam Shimano 50 with 25 lb mono on a 8' Black Defy swimbait rod. Awesome outfit that you can see a video on it here

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where you been Jim?? we need to get together and do a float.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Guys you need to get some big swimbaits and a dedicated swimbait rod. Awesome stuff catching bass on big swimbaits.
So, last weekend I fished one of my favorite rivers and for some reason I took my swimbait rod and a few swimbaits. The one I tied on was a Megabass Magdraft (it is also one of the smallest I have)
The Stripers were crushing it, with 3-4 caught in the 8-10 lb range and then I waded to a spot and threw below a rapid.
BAM! Then after a good fight I get in a 4 lb spot ! PB Spot ! awesome fish, take a few pics and let her go. Throw back out and BAM ! another big un. Head comes up and I was like this cant be?? two monsters in a row?? got her in and got my first good Bass over 5 this year at 8 lbs.
Check out my Youtube channel Mack's Extreme River fishing as this was one Extreme Day!! This video wont be out for a month or so as I am that far behind on videos though. 5 I think.
View attachment 218808

View attachment 218813

View attachment 218814

The Swimbait rod/outfit is a Bantam Shimano 50 with 25 lb mono on a 8' Black Defy swimbait rod. Awesome outfit that you can see a video on it here
Mack what would you recommend Rod and reel for large swim baits working from a Jon boat versus tossing from bank?

·
Registered
888 Posts
View attachment 218808

View attachment 218813

View attachment 218814

Pretty work right there!

BTJ

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mack what would you recommend Rod and reel for large swim baits working from a Jon boat versus tossing from bank?
same as I got....shimano bantam 50 with a Black defy rod...the hardest part is finding a good shimano 50. one of the best reels ever made.

Reactions: Fishscalz

·
Registered
704 Posts
Where you been Jim?? we need to get together and do a float.
Yes, we do. I haven't fished with Steve in a long time, either. I have only been once this year in the yak, and fished for shad at Weldon about a week after your first trip there this year. Only had a couple of hours after working in the area. Did get a couple of really nice Americans. Saw a guy at the ramp with a 30lb blue, too.

I'll be in touch. We definitely need to float some this year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts