NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be in the Wrightsville beach next week for a family vacation and to do some fishing with my son. I already have a couple of inshore charters booked to go after some flounder, reds, and trout. While I have caught some sheepshead while non-intentionally fishing for them, I have never specifically targeted them. I spoke to my guide about booking another day to target sheepshead and he advised against it. He said that sheepshead fishing can be extremely frustrating, especially to a 9 year old. However, this is a trip I have always wanted to do and I have heard the big sheepshead bite is red hot down there right now. Hmmmmmm...... decisions, decisions... What do you guys think??? I know I could go and leave my son to play on the beach. However, for me the most fun I get out of fishing is seeing the smile on my boys face when he says "Fish On".

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
As your guide said, consistently catching sheepshead is probably one of the most difficult fishing tasks there is. It is like you have to set the hook before they bite. If you catch 10% of the sheepshead that take your bait then you would be considered a master. I do not believe that a 9 yr old would enjoy this and could imagine he becomes so frustrated he NEVER wants to fish again.

I would doubt that your son cares what he catches only that he catches. He probably would be happy catching pinfish and croakers,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He probably would be happy catching pinfish and croakers,
Trust me.. He is... Thanks speckhunter80... Even at the age of 9 he is quite the little fisherman. He really loves it and I don't want to spend the money just to see him get upset and frustrated. Which is why I don't play golf...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Spec said it all. If you have a boat go to a bridge with some fiddler crabs of sand fleas and give it a go. Use a stout rod and get him out quick. I usually drop to the bottom and reel up a turn or two out of the current. It helps to feel the bite for me a little better. I call sheepshead fishing cadence fishing. I set hook on the water Alot but like spec said, you almost have to set the hook on it befor you feel anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts