NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best buddy Gil called and wanted to take his son Tripp fishing down towards Swanquarter this weekend on Sunday. I mentioned to Gil that the morning would be best, but he said that he could only go in the afternoon. I knew he wanted to go to church so that was not a problem with me. I mentioned to him that we would be at the mercy of the wind but we would give it a shot. Gil and I have been best buds for about 30 years so I didn’t want to miss the opportunity to spend time with him. We rarely have such opportunities. I have never fished with his son Tripp. However, Gil lives on Sapony Creek on theRocky Mount Reservoir and Tripp who is 14 has become quite the fisherman. He caught a 5 to 6 pound bass just last week. Anyway, we head down toward Germantown. We run through some rain and the clouds are saying more is coming. We arrive at G-town around 3ish. Not sure what the wind speed was but in a 16’ aluminum boat it was going to be a little testy. There were “ZERO” other trailers at the landing. “Here’s your sign!” …. But no, we proceeded. Trying not to be skeptical I said we would have to find some water out of the wind. “Even if we don’t catch any fish we’ll have fun”, I said. We arrive at our first and only spot, get everyone baited up, and start casting. Well, I catch a short flounder on my firstcast. We are not skunked! I catch another on my 4[SUP]th[/SUP]cast. A little optimism ensued. We fished until just after 6 and ended upcatching a total of 7. Gil caught one short and one at 15.5”. Tripp didn’t have any luck so we will definitely take him again. I caught 5 with one being 17” and another at 18”. All-in-all it was a great trip with super friends! My weekend ended up being one with quality over quantity. I caughta total of 15 flounder on Saturday and Sunday. I was by myself on Saturday. The weekend totals were 15 flounder in the boat: 1 @15.25”, 2 @ 16”, 2 @ 17”, and 2 @ 18”. Almost a 50% keeper ratio and all caught on one bait using only one grub. The bait of choice this weekend was a red fish magic spinner with gold spoon and white grub. (We did try gulp but didn’t have any luck). Sorry no pics.
Doug

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Man, great report! Too often we let the weather dictate our fishing, but the worst weather often means the best fishing! Flounder are supposed to bite better on cloudy days, so it sounds like you proved that out!

Great report, keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you work you’re spinner bait never tried one for flounder just drum.
We use a slow retrieve keeping the bait right near the bottom. I have found that you don't have to "set" the hook so to speak. Just keep reeling when you feel the tension. Keep in mind that I am not a professional. Just had a good weekend and this is what worked for us this weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.