NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

Banned
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I again fished top water for drum this AM. i fished the full incoming tide and had one single fish and no other action whatsoever. I can't complain because I got this unit which is the second one I've caught that was 27" exactly and this time I even had a witness. 馃榾
These bigger ones sure pull hard and I can't imagine what a really big one feels like. This one was fat too and I named it. I know naming fish is not very practical or popular but I just couldn't help it. I named this one dinner. Kind-of has a ring to it no?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Registered
Dude you go from questions like you've never fished before to putting up a topwater report. I don't get it.
Nice 'unit' BTW. As much as I like to catch them, I really enjoy seeing them swim away. Guess that's old age setting in? I dunno. I'll be 41 next month.

Registered
Dude you go from questions like you've never fished before to putting up a topwater report. I don't get it.
Nice 'unit' BTW. As much as I like to catch them, I really enjoy seeing them swim away. Guess that's old age setting in? I dunno. I'll be 41 next month.
The way I look at it, he worked so hard for this catch he got hungry....

Teach a man to fish....we all know how that goes.

Banned
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
41? I'm 56 and I see nothing wrong with keeping a single fish. I'm happy to keep my limit on any fish to give me a little meat to eat. The biologists set kreel, size limits etc and I know they are smarter than I am as far as how to sustain a fishery. If anything I'd bet their limits are very conservative. To each his/her own. I can't watch them swim away anyway. The water here is like the darkest mongolian tea.:D

If you actually read my posts you would notice I almost always post about specific fishing situations that are challenging to me and I've stated a number of times that I've been fishing for many decades. Far longer than you have been consuming groceries as a matter of fact. I don't mind hanging my butt out by asking questions that show my ignorance. I'm ignorant in many respects but I become less so every day believe me. I don't want you to be unhappy so I'll refrain from posting any more photos. It's no skin off my nose and if this helps another person get through their day in a better way than I'm glad to help.

Later

Banned
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've named some Nugget, called a few Samich and occasionally even (ka)Bob. Don't see a thing wrong with naming fish:p
Ha! Those are great names. (ka) Bob!?! Classic. I actually gave mine first and middle names as well tonight - "Fish Taco". So it's formal name is (was) Fish Taco Dinner. That turned out to be too long so a nickname was in order. And that is how Yummy was born.

Registered
are we really chastising based on somebody keeping ONE drum?

Red X Angler
I have no problem with catch, photo, and release to the grease! Have you seen gas prices lately? Gotta offset that expense a little here and there. I just don't tend to keep so much that I have to freeze em. I will, but not often. Other than Drum that is.

Registered
Ha! Those are great names. (ka) Bob!?! Classic. I actually gave mine first and middle names as well tonight - "Fish Taco". So it's formal name is (was) Fish Taco Dinner. That turned out to be too long so a nickname was in order. And that is how Yummy was born.

fish taco is always a good name!!!

Registered

are we really chastising based on somebody keeping ONE drum?
Just sounds like personal preference to me.

Banned
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Brenardo-Wow! That's a long name.! Must be royalty or something. Or maybe sort of tribal with the name also having a meaning? Anyway it's a good name and one to be proud of馃榾

Sundrop-I've never heard the "release to the grease" term. Classic. What would be the acronym for catch, photograph and release to the grease? I never know if the short words get included. It wouldn't be CPRARTTG would it? Maybe just shorten it to CPR2G? That's my current method of legal catch disposal. I'll attempt to get back in the good graces of those that practice CPR the by saying I never keep minimum size flounder and rarely keep minimum size red drum unless it was gut hooked and looked like it would become crab bait if released.
I don't have any problem freezing drum though. It's only happened once this year for me and they thawed out and tasted great??? I stick a tube in the zip lock bag and suck the air out so no meat gets burned.
I know I'm travelling down a bumpy road here by bringing up the issue of releasing fish that are going to croak from a hook in the gut. I realize this is largely available by using certain fishing practices but once in a while it happens. You get one fish that you decide to CPR2G and stow it. Then another one comes over the side that is bleeding from a gut hook and is clearly not going to make it. IMO releasing this fish doesn't make sense. Keeping it makes even less sense given that it is illegal so that's my dilemma. I don't keep such fish and on the rare occasions that's it's happened I feel like a fool watching it sink???

Registered
The theory is that when you release one dying it will often be eaten by something that might have fed on a living one instead; the slowest one is always a marked fish, if you get my meaning. Not sure if it makes as much sense with the larger fish inshore as it does where there are larger predators, but it still makes some sense.

Banned
I personally think many people struggle with releasing a fish that is gut hooked, even if it is a little short. But I would be willing to bet you "the man" doesn't hesitate in writing a ticket for it.

Anyone who fishes long enough will gut hook a borderline keeper and face the dilemma of releasing a fish that will probably or certainly die.

Registered
I was topwater fishing for whatever this May when the trout season was closed- hooked one through an eyeball. It was a nice fat fish. both options made me feel bad. I quit fishing for them after that until the season opened back up.

I don't fish my rock spots in the summer for the same reason- well also because they aren't usually there ;-)

I have a bit of a dilemma targeting fish I know I can't keep - if they are known to be delicate to handling like a trout. Drum seem so hardy I feel pretty confident they swim away just fine unless you gut hook one. I don't fish bait and I'm a pretty crappy fisherman so I don't face that choice very often.

However, one of my bucket list items is to catch a big drum in the surf, so I recognize the hypocrisy. In the end, be responsible, feel free to keep what you legally can but don't be a hog - you know that frozen trout aint nearly as good as fresh, but some fish hold up just fine in the freezer.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.