NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the better part of the last 2 weeks in the Kure Beach and Ft Fisher area kayak fishing with my wife and dad. Caught all the usual suspects inshore, including a slam one day for me.
The best 2 days though were Friday and Saturday the week before last in the surf. The ocean was very calm for a couple of days, smooth as glass at times, so I decided to launch the kayak off the beach. We had been seeing fish busting bait like crazy just beyond the breakers and I wanted to try and find out what they were.

I ended up catching a couple of species I had not caught before:
Spanish Mackerel
Water Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Fin Boat Outdoor recreation

False Albacore
Water Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Sky Watercraft

It's hard to get size perspective in the pics but both fish were probably around 20-22" long. The Albie was considerably heavier than the Spanish though, I'd guess 8lbs or so.. Most of the Spanish were smaller, but 3 of the biggest went into the cooler. These fish were just thick off of the beach at Ft Fisher for a couple of days straight, chasing large schools of bait. We had the most luck with Gotcha plugs, but they were hitting pretty much anything we threw in the water that beared resemblance to a minnow. I also caught one Spanish from the surf, standing out on the sandbar at low tide. After the rain early last week the action disappeared and the surf got too rough to launch a yak, but it was wild while they were out there.

The Albie was the hardest fighting fish I've caught with the exception of a bull drum. It took off like a silver bullet and really put my old Abu 5500 to the test. It ended up exacting some revenge when we landed it too, my dad scooped it up in a net after a couple of minutes trying to wrangle it as it darted around our kayaks, and it flailed around and stuck a Gotcha hook into his finger way past the barb . That resulted in a trip to urgent care and ended the fishing for the day. Lesson learned, don't try to lift one of those things into a kayak with you until you have it fully secured with a fish gripper or something.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
I have caught a few Albies, I would have to agree about the fight that they put up. Most of them were lost on the first run when I claimed the spools to keep from getting spooled. I would like to hook up to one now that i am running braid.

Great report Congratulations

Darrell

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I run 30lb braid on my Abu's and they are upgraded with carbon drag washers as well. They'll hold a lot of braid that diameter, probably 250 yards. It made a 50-75 yard run but wasn't close to spooling me. I hooked up with a second one but it threw the hook after its run and I didn't get it in.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
I've had to swatch out hooks from my hand twice this year the first time was difficult due to anticipated discomfort. The second time was a breeze and it was much worse because I had two hooks from a size 2 treble in my hand. One I the pad of my thumb and the other in the palm so these two together made my thumb bend sharply toward my palm. It's very easy to remove them. Just get a piece of heavy mono or whatever you have (I had to use a pair of Gerber pliers the second time) and put the mono at the bend of the hook and swatch it out as fast as you can. Be careful it doesn't come out of one fleshy spot and go into another IYKWIM. I kid you not, there was zero pain pulling them out and I mean zero. I bled a lot for a short time but I kept fishing and didn't have to pay the MD. The anticipation the first time was killer. Second time no problem. Just gotta try and pull it out straight.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.