NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I have a 18 month old and a 4 year old so keep that in mind along with my boat being a 218 DLV.

I want to tow the boat up to Beaufort and see some of the sights from the water in that area. What would you limit yourself to boating in the area with two small kids? I would love to go over to Cape Lookout but it is probably just too far of a haul for the girls.

What would you fellas suggest and what ramp would you suggest? We will probably make the trip in September.

Edit:

It looks like a manageable ride from Harkers Island over to CALO and the lighthouse?

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Pick your days a ride to CALO on a windy day can be a bad experience, on the other hand on a nice day can be a Great experience. Put in at the ramp at the end of front st and go out end of taylors creek and its about a 30 minute ride. If you dont know the area I wouldnt risk it with kids unless you follow someone.

A better bet is launch at radio Island ramp across Morehead bridge and spend a day boating around Morehead and Beaufort, Shackleford banks, easy to make a day of that.

·
Registered
933 Posts
From Beaufort inlet the CALO point is about 5-6 mile run along the beach. On a good day you can run 30-40mph and be there in no time. Slide up the beach right in front of the light house. There is a jetty that comes off the inlet and it will be mostly very calm with small rollers. I have ran it alot. Or as IM said, run to Shack and watch the horses. It is a 5 min run from the ramp. But make sure you have (2) anchors, the current through there is real bad once it starts. Anchor the front outwards and pull the second one from the back on the beach. Once you get there you will see how the others do it.

Or run over to the waterfront resteraunts pull up to the docks and eat. Many things to do right in the local area for the family. Just use google earth and look around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.