NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Live vs Dead. Fishing a finger mullet on a 1/4 to 1/2oz jighead does it really matter if the finger mullet is dead or alive? I am talking fresh caught that day kept on ice finger mullet vs live. Its just a pain trying to keep mullet alive in a kayak and also a tough to catch them when your bait tank is behind you. My belief is fresh dead and fished on a heavy enough jighead to keep it from spinning is basically as good as live.

2. If you guys are fishing boat docks in tidal water for flounder right now would you try to use natural bait vs artificial or can someone in the know still wear them out on artificials with the high water temps and tons of bait?

PS anyone else get caught out in that storm today in Morehead/Beaufort? I spent about a half hour under a boat in my yak while the storm raged around me. Wasn't real relaxing lol.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You always hear about boat docks for flounder but it seems very few people fish docks. I know for boaters it probably is challenging fishing especially in a higher current area with docks packed together but with a kayak you can get in and out and amongst the docks no problem. Hence why I want to get good at it. Caught 5 lizard fish and 1 15 inch flounder yesterday morning but I feel like I can be much more effective when I really figure it out.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I know several dock flounder pounders and while they all fish docks the docks they fish are unique in that it may be the only dock for a long stretch or they are located in places where there is deep water very close by or the confluence of two different bodies of water. There are definitely flounder at probably almost every dock honestly but some will be more concentrated than others.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mic John skinner is typically targeting them on ledges in 30 to 60 feet of water. But he sure does kill them! RouseD the marshes are very good for flounder! But from my research everyone acts like the biggest flounder are around structure with deeper water close by.

·
Registered
525 Posts
From my experience, live bait is preferred, but only slightly over dead. I used to cast net dozens of finger mullet off my neighbor's dock and refrigerate them in baggies for use during the next few days. The marginal decline in bites was better than the effort expended trying to keep the bait alive. Right now, there is a lot of live bait inshore so I try to use something that will get a flounder's attention away from all the other food. That means a soft plastic jerk bait on a jig head. I like Z-man baits in pearl. It really helps to crazy glue them to the jig head to keep it in position. Just a tiny drop works great. A little Pro Cure inshore scent helps, too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.