NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used my cast net today and caught Croaker, Pinfish, small menhaden, finger mullet, one big mullet, and some little perch. Used the fish live today under a popping cork and was wondering what is the preferred way of hooking them under a cork? The nose or behind the dorsal fin? These are mostly no current situations and the bait is kept stationary not worked.

Also do you guys use the little 2 inch menhaden you catch? Theres not much to them at all.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
cetain time of the year and weather conditions small is best. I nose hook, and still pop the popper some just not as often, I also prefer to use the bobbers with metal beads with live bait as their motions make more clicking. I will also use them back hooked just to change up the action and see if there is a preference that day. Always toss one on a C rig on the bottom too or even free line some. I dont "run n gun" when using alot of live baits I try to work areas well. All this is dependent of course on winds/tides weather..

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Nose hooked if trolling, back (behind the head or behind the dorsal fin) if under a float, or just above the anal fin if on the bottom. Just how I prefer to.

little menhaden are the best bait for big spanish. I would try to get 3-4" ones instead or 2" though

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.