NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday a friend and I spend the day trying to find shelter from the "1-2 ft. waves and 15-20 knt winds" that Mr. Weatherman got wrong for the Pamlico sound (it did settle down in the afternoon, but the morning was miserable). We found a nice little cove and proceeded to hammer the specs & reds. Most of the reds were shorts, but a couple of the specs were good size, with one 5 lb. in the mix. Even managed a few flounder, greys and a 3-4 lb. sea mullet. We then cruised to Cape Lookout, overnighted (and picked up a few blues), and on Sunday tried to get offshore. Once again, Mr. Weatherman got us beat up, so we headed back inside to do some chumming & bottom fishing. A great move as it turned out - we put 5 kings in the box and "released" at least 2. Numerous sharks & cut-offs later, my friend hooked into a fish that nearly spooled him - then it it stopped "dead". He reeled it in only to find half of what was probably a 20 lb. albie! There's some scary stuff out there...

Aside from the wind....it was a great weekend!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Great report, thanks! Yeah - 20 knot winds usally produce more than 1 foot waves, even in the sound. Glad you caught some fish though.

I had a teenager king bit in half last week - I think it was an ole stinky that done it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just out of curiosity, I checked the NCfisheries website to check the record for the largest sea mullet. The one I caught was as big or bigger than the state record. It was released (almost) unharmed (took the jighead with it).

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Just enough for a tasty grilled sandwich..yum!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.