NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on coming down with my three son's the first week of Oct.My plan is to take the Davis ferry over to the southern core setting up camp and fishing hard for three day's. We are bringing are yak's. Is most of the fishing down in the back sound around the grass.Any info or sugesstions would be helpful Thanks

·
Registered
493 Posts
Welcome to NCAngler CaptKid. October is the time to be here for sure. Best fishing time on the coast is Oct-Dec. Camping will be great that time of year too. Where are you from? Where on the Southern Core? What are you interested in catching? I'd love to help, but there are others on this site who are far more knowledgeable about the area. But, I do know that Oct is usually great.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I'm afraid I haven't spent enough time at the coast to recognize the area you're speaking of, but if you're talking about yak-fishing, I'm listening! A three day camp-and-fish-hard outing sounds awesome -- keep us posted!!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
We are coming in from cape may NJ Plan to fish around Opleia inlet.Thanks for the help
Thats Ophelia Inlet --Was opened up by Hurricane Ophelia in 2005 and is south of the other two Drum Inlets across from Atlantic. Presently deep water around inlet and I hear that fishing has been good --waters on shore side of Core Banks are extremely shallow for the most parts. Bring plenty of bug spray. Good luck!

CAPE LOOKOUT CONCESSIONS

www.drumwagon.com

Reactions: lefty

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Fojoloy

Thanks for the input is there a better place to be. Or should we set uo camp and Yak over to new drum inlet.We plan on Yaking during the day and setting up and bait fising during the nights for possible bigger drum. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
captkid---If you have never visited this area before, there are some things that you need to be aware of:
4WD necessary to drive on the core banks as there are no roads- only the beach and dunes.
Take all necessary supplies with you--you can order bait, ice and supplies to be delivered by ferry at a COST.
If I were coming here for first time I would take ferry and camp for the duration--
It's over two miles to any of the inlets from mainland and winds are subject to kick up without warnings
With proper planning, it should be not just a fishing trip but an adventure
Oct. is a very busy time for the ferries and reservations would be wise
All the Core Banks are governed by Cape Lookout National Seashore and I have attached info providing all links. When was the last time you looked at miles and miles of beaches without seeing tacky condos

Search this park Search nps.gov

PARK HOME
PLAN YOUR VISIT
NATURE & SCIENCE
FOR TEACHERS
NEWS
MANAGEMENT
SUPPORT YOUR PARK

Site Index
Frequently Asked Questions
Contact Us

text size:
printer friendly

QUICKLINKS:
Directions
Operating Hours & Seasons
Fees & Reservations
Ferry Services
Things to Know Before You Come
Personal Watercraft
Schedule of Events
Ranger Programs
Ready for adventure?
Take a boat trip three miles off-shore to the islands of Cape Lookout National Seashore. Here you can enjoy remote beaches, watch wild horses and other wildlife, or visit one of the historic districts. Be sure to bring a picnic lunch for the day. Going camping takes a little more planning.

Open House dates and Information

The Cape Lookout Lighthouse is not opened for climbing except during the Open House events held four times a year.
more...

Write to

131 Charles Street
Harkers Island, NC 28531
E-mail Us

Phone
Harkers Island Visitor Center
(252) 728-2250
Fax (252) 728-2160

Climate
Summers are warm, humid and buggy. Winter temperatures can go below freezing. Fall and spring have low humidity and are generally mild. Rainy periods occur throughout the year. Wear comfortable sportswear in season with a hat for the sun and good walking shoes that can take the sand and salt water.​

Did You Know?
The lighthouse standing at Cape Lookout was finished in 1859. It replaced an earlier, shorter lighthouse finished in 1812. Cape Lookout National Seashore
Disclaimer
Accessibility
Privacy Policy
FOIA
Notices
USA.gov

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I'm hoping you guys are taking a couple of four wheel drives across. (The cost is $75/ truck up to 18 1/2 '.) It sure makes it easier to carry 3 days worth of water and Ice. frozen 2ltr bottles of water that is good for drinking (or 1 gal. jugs) helps keep your ice longer and gives you cold drinking water too. Don't forget to bring lids for all of your pots, pans and food containers to keep blowing sand out of your food. I haven't been over to the Core Banks, but if you need help coming up with a check list, I will try to help you put one together. I have some practical experience with beach camping in rather remote areas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone

You can alway's count on fellow fisherman and all outdoorsman in general for support I thank you all. Yes we are bringing two 4x4s and as for packing supplies we will be fine.I tend to over pack.The boy's and I live to fish nor easters for stripers up here so we are geared up for the nasty if it happens.Once again thanks to everyone hope to share some water with ya someday.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
You generally expect that when a person is planning to be at the right place at the right time they have several years of experience under their belt. You never can be sure so I thought I'd offer because it would be a shame to be in the right place at the right time and have to leave because you didn't have something that you didn't know would be necessary. It sounds unlikely that will be the case. I hope ya'll get your share and have a good time doing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.