NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was Saturday night, after midnight, and my buddy from Greenville texts me to see if I wanted to go fishing early on Sunday. Of course I said yes. I couldnt sleep for some reason....I finally passed out at like 2:30am. I woke up at 6:00am, mad groggy and dozed off again until about 7:30 when I felt my phone buzzing on my forehead haha. He was asking where I was......

I met him at his place in Greenville and loaded my yak and crap in his truck and we hit the road to Beaufort, but not before a snack stop of beef jerky (the real kind) and fried fat back nuggets. (breakfast of champions)

Hit the ramp and unloaded, paddled accross to Carrot Island and dragged accross the marsh mud and began searching for some tails.

We went to our regular holes only to find nothing....We saw schools and school of gigantic mullet and annoying little croaker, but no reds. The wind slowy picked up and the sun was pounding my neck (I forgot sun screen). For some reason we decided to go with fly rods only.....After probably 600 casts I hooked up to this tiny little flounder, but he was still pretty fun on the 6wt glass rod. We both had a few minor strikes from flounder but no more hook ups.

All in all it was a great day, and I was very happy to finally get back to the salt for the first time since last November. Here are some crummy cell phone pics.

Plant Organism Finger Terrestrial plant Pattern
Water Sky Horse Working animal Natural landscape

·
Registered
642 Posts
I know the horses are wild, but they look a little worse for wear. Hate to see ribs showing like that, but I guess that's just nature. Don't roast me I'm a huge animal lover-but I still eat lots of meat and fish readily. Still a great sight to behold though, and good report.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the horses are wild, but they look a little worse for wear. Hate to see ribs showing like that, but I guess that's just nature. Don't roast me I'm a huge animal lover-but I still eat lots of meat and fish readily. Still a great sight to behold though, and good report.

No need to roast. I felt the same way when they were passing my kayak. Really skinny....it looks like they lost weight from the last time I saw them in November of last year. I bet it happends every winter....they will probably fatten up shortly. It is nice to see the youngins out there tho. I can tell you these guys have no fear. Everytime im there they come up to me haha. They were about 20 feet away from me in this picture, crazyness. Kinda weird, but when I see them running around the marsh it makes me so relaxed haha. Its crazy how theraputic "fishing" is.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ECU - good to see someone pursuing the fish with a Fly! Still figuring this place out, but once I do, it's fly time.
Its pretty hard to figure out...I just take wild guesses haha. I was shown one flounder hole, but I was sworn not to tell. The flounder was not at this spot. We diddnt even paddle to that spot, it was too windy.

I can tell you white with a pink head is the go-to ticket for me. Gulp on jighead or fly. Its my confidence color for the area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.