NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today has been a sad day for me, but also a proud one. I've experienced the emotions that hundreds of thousands of fathers have felt when their sons went to military service. My youngest son, Wesley, joined the Navy and left this morning for basic training. He spent his morning at home with his wife and children while I waited down the road a way. When that government car with the Navy insignia pulled up my heart almost burst with sadness and pride. Yes, tears were being shed, but when he stepped out of the car and looked at me his face was lit up in a big grinning smile. A smile that will forever be in my memory, one that said "It's okay. I'll be fine", a smile that put me at peace. One last hug, a pat on the back, and an I love you then he was gone. He left more of a man than I thought he was the evening before. and will no doubt return even more so. Godspeed Wesley, my love and respect go with you.

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
My best friend went into the military a few years back and I was shaken up badly....loved him like a brother. He's back now and all is well. Congrats on having a top notch son!

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I also have a son named Wesley and he is currently serving in the US Army as an Apache mechanic.

He has been in the Army for about three years now and just returned from Afghanistan three weeks ago. He and his family are on their last day of a visit here in NC before he heads back to his base at Ft. Riley, KS to finish out his first enlistment. He isn't sure yet whether he will re-up, but for now, we are all just glad he returned from Afghanistan and is back home in the US!

He timed his visit here, of course, to Fathers Day and it was a great one for me! We did some fishing on Lake Norman and Lake Hickory and had a great time!

The point here is that even though he is out for now, your son is in good hands and he will be taken care of and will make you, and his country, proud! You will be fishing with him again before you know it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts