NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Floated a really short section on the South Fork very quickly right before dark. Didn't get as many casts in as I would have liked to but I caught 3 little smallmouth and lost 2 that were also small. Saw several breaking the water right at dusk. Hoping to get on a big one sometime soon.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah hopefully the weather wont be as bad as yesterday. I'm going to try and do another float today as well. Haven't been to the river yet but hopefully it isn't stained from all the hard rains in some areas

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Got on the water around 8:30 this morning. Put in with Big Dave and another long time fishing buddy named Mark. We were concerned as the water levels spiked up on the gauge reports when we left Concord at 6:30. This was a result of the heavy rain in Boone the night before. Boone is the headwaters of the river. But as longtime river runners know thunderstorms cause 'slugs' of dirty water on high altitude rivers. Within an hour levels started receding as rapidly as they had gone up. Streams in Wilkesboro were coffee from runoff, but up on the Eastern Divide the New was only slightly stained and levels were perfect. Light wind in our face slowed the impact of current. We did not have an epic day catching but catch we did. Several smallies (including Marks big fish of the day, pictured) were brought to hand and lots of rock bass as well. Fish were taken on a scented chartreuse crawfish tube bait, green roostertail and watermelon green flake and pumpkinseed 4" Zoom lizards. Big Dave was catching on a 4 wt. With a wooly booger. Great day with great friends...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
That water looks fantastic. How long of a float did you guys do and around what area was that, if you don't mind sharing?

Tight Lines,
J.R.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Only about 3 river miles but we fished it hard. Took out at Wagoners Access of the State Park. Didn't see another vessel all day.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts