NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(9/21 Sunday)
I arrived in AB Sunday afternoon and once I got settled in I made a run to one of the bait stores. I inquired as to the latest surf fishing report and he rattled off the usual fare. I decided to hit Oceana Pier seeing how late in the day it was. I'm not sure when the bait store guy got his information but there was pretty much nothing biting except for the occasional Spanish that the guys on the end of the pier were plugging for. I fished until dark and got skunked.

Side note: Did you guys know they let the surfers run the waves right next to the Oceana Pier? It pretty much shut down the fishing done right behind the breakers. Kinda sucks!

(9/22 Monday)
I decided to do some recon and checked out a couple of local spots. The wind had turned from a southerly flow to NE so I was hopeful. Radio Island pier = nothing. Radio Island beach = nothing. Beaufort public access = nothing. Oceana Pier = nothing except for the occasional Spanish. Wasn't much going on. I fished the pier again from 5:00 to dark. Went through 2 dozen fiddler crabs in about 30 minutes from the bait stealers. Not a sheepshead to be had. A small Spanish bite occurred at high tide and that was pretty much it.

(9/23 Tuesday)
I surf fished this morning on a falling tide which is not the best time to be out there but the weather report had rain moving in around noon and as predicted that's when it started sprinkling. there was a small amount of bait busting out there and me and another guy wandering the beach landed some small blue fish.

So here I sit waiting for this to blow over;

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
I also got skunked at the pier. Went for a couple hours this morning. Pinfish everywhere eating all my cut mullet, hooked a bigger one. Also tried a spoon with no luck. There was a huge ray swimming around though which was cool to see.
On Monday I hit the surf in Indian beach / Salter path. Mostly skunked. One little pinfish on bloodworm gulps and my dad hooked what my wife thought was a small spec when I went to get lunch.
Saw many schools of mullet close to shore though.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
(9/24 Wednesday)

It pretty much rained the entire night and I woke up to very dismal looking skies. I checked out the radar and it looked like it was going to break for a while so once again seeing how time might be limited I headed for the pier. When I arrived there were several folks packing up and heading off. I thought that was not a good sign. I went to the end of the pier where the remaining folks were plugging for Spanish and blues. I rigged up a Gotcha and first cast I nailed a small blue. Second cast I got a Spanish (probably not a keeper) and he spit the hook as soon as I tried to pull him out of the water. A few casts later another good sized blue. I did this until about 12:30 or so and then the rain moved back in. Looking at the radar on the iPhone I could tell the rain was here to stay awhile so I packed up and headed back to the room for lunch.

Around 4:00 or so the rain looked like it was going to move on. The winds had shifted from NE to SW. I went by the tackle store to get a couple of replacement Gotcha plugs that I had lost during the morning. Went back to the pier and got set up. The catching was sporadic but around 6:30, 1-1/2 hours before high tide, we started having a blues fest. :D It was a lot of fun there for about an hour and then the action tailed off. One guy hauled in a really good sized Spanish. I gave away my catch but I am still on the hunt for some keeper Spanish. That's my goal before I check out of this place on Sunday.

Today (Thursday) looks like another day of showers and storms so it may be a replay of Wednesday. Here's how the day ended on Wednesday at the pier with a beautiful sunset.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Get some finger mullet and head to Ft. Macon and bottom fish them. There are plenty of Red Drum out there. I saw some guys hauling some in last week. Just cast out to the channel edge. Make sure you have enough weight on it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you not end up bringing your kayak? There are plenty of fish around and they are willing to devour a Topwater lure or artificial shrimp under a popping cork. Caught really nice over slot reds this morning as well as trout and a fat 24 inch red.
Yes I did and I do plan on getting out and yakking for a day or two. With the past couple of days of gnarly weather I wanted to stay close to base and not get caught out in the middle of nowhere with no place to shelter. Tuesday and Wednesday there have been stretches of no rain for only 2 - 3 hours at a time then hours more of steady showers. I just checked the forecast and it looks like it's all behind us now so that definitely opens up the opportunities for fishing elsewhere besides the pier. We had a drencher this morning though. More later. Thanks!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
(9/25 Thursday)

We had a pretty good downpour on this morning but the radar showed it to be done quickly and moving on. It was another blues fest on the pier until about an hour or so before low tide. I stopped counting the number of blues I caught but I did pick up a couple of keeper Spanish... a 12 1/2" squeaker and a 15". Also shown is one of the bigger blues I caught. I gave most of those away or tossed them back.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.