NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fished the area between Shell Narrows and Abel Bay on October 16. Launched from Wrights Creek just south of Belhaven at 0540 hrs. Air temps at launch were 63 F. Winds out of the south at 5-7 mph. Water clarity was good with 2-3 ft visibility. Motored to Shell Narrows, our first stop, and had lines in the water at 0635. Water temps were 71 F. Bait pods were all over the place coming through Deep Cove but nothing busting at the time. We stopped briefly and fished a couple of the larger ones but no luck so on into Shell Narrows. Picked up a nice 27" (just did fit the slot, see picture below) red, a 16" Spanish mackerel, plenty of nice keeper sized, 16-19", flounder (nice to know we didn't deplete the stock with our long season this year) a couple of smallish blues and 4-5 under slot reds. Not a lot of action so we moved over to the Blow Out and found, surprise, surprise, a nice school of Gray Trout sitting right at the north east end of the Blow Out. Most were undersized but we did manage two keepers out of the 6-8 we boated. Also picked up some keeper specks and one grill sized blue mixed in with the Grays. Fished the Blow Out until about 1100 hrs then moved over to Judith Narrows. Wind speed at this time had picked up to around 10-12 mph. Nothing going on there so on to Abel Bay. Fished Marie Creek on the west side of Abel Bay picking up plenty of under slot reds and more flounder. Called it a day at 1300 hrs and headed back to the ramp. The score for the day was one 27" red, one 16" Spanish, two grays, three specks and one blue. Everything was caught on pearl white Gulps. Could have been better, could have been worse. No complaining, it was a beautiful day to be on the water!
Water Sky Vertebrate Boat Fisherman

Bruce

·
Registered
229 Posts
Fished the area between Shell Narrows and Abel Bay on October 16. Launched from Wrights Creek just south of Belhaven at 0540 hrs. Air temps at launch were 63 F. Winds out of the south at 5-7 mph. Water clarity was good with 2-3 ft visibility. Motored to Shell Narrows, our first stop, and had lines in the water at 0635. Water temps were 71 F. Bait pods were all over the place coming through Deep Cove but nothing busting at the time. We stopped briefly and fished a couple of the larger ones but no luck so on into Shell Narrows. Picked up a nice 27" (just did fit the slot, see picture below) red, a 16" Spanish mackerel, plenty of nice keeper sized, 16-19", flounder (nice to know we didn't deplete the stock with our long season this year) a couple of smallish blues and 4-5 under slot reds. Not a lot of action so we moved over to the Blow Out and found, surprise, surprise, a nice school of Gray Trout sitting right at the north east end of the Blow Out. Most were undersized but we did manage two keepers out of the 6-8 we boated. Also picked up some keeper specks and one grill sized blue mixed in with the Grays. Fished the Blow Out until about 1100 hrs then moved over to Judith Narrows. Wind speed at this time had picked up to around 10-12 mph. Nothing going on there so on to Abel Bay. Fished Marie Creek on the west side of Abel Bay picking up plenty of under slot reds and more flounder. Called it a day at 1300 hrs and headed back to the ramp. The score for the day was one 27" red, one 16" Spanish, two grays, three specks and one blue. Everything was caught on pearl white Gulps. Could have been better, could have been worse. No complaining, it was a beautiful day to be on the water!
View attachment 219051
Bruce
Sounds like good time Soon as I get beans finished I’m going by end of week hopefully.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@glovermike80 - Yeah, Spanish...one nice sized 15-16" Spanish...that far out of the mouth of the Pamlico/Pungo it wasn't a huge surprise. The porpoises were killing schools of either trout (most probable) or Spanish in Abel Bay. There must have been a pod of 10-20 there and you could see them herding a school of fish into a tight mass then busting through them...quite a sight if you've never seen it!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like good time Soon as I get beans finished I’m going by end of week hopefully.
Hey Bustman, we're going to hit it again Sunday. Planning on trolling Deep Cover and seeing if those Spanish are still schooling up in that area. I'd offer you a spot on the boat but my full crew is onboard so not a lot of room left. Good luck, tight lines!

Bruce

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey Bustman, we're going to hit it again Sunday. Planning on trolling Deep Cover and seeing if those Spanish are still schooling up in that area. I'd offer you a spot on the boat but my full crew is onboard so not a lot of room left. Good luck, tight lines!

Bruce
Have enjoyed reading your last fishing reports. Keep it up, please.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Feetup1 - I try to post every trip so others can maybe benefit from what we see and hook into. We're fishing that area again Sunday so we'll see what's there. I was told earlier today by a co-worker who has relatives in that area that the Spanish bite had cooled off with the change in temps but that the trout bite was incredibly hot...I guess we'll see and I'll let you know as soon as practical. I'd like to think that everyone else is doing the same so we can all share in the fun!

·
Registered
229 Posts

Bruce
I finished beans up yesterday I plan on going this week some let me know how y’all do. Hope y’all catch limits of all tight lines

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@bustman - New report in the coastal section. Nothing spectacular but definitely worth the effort. Lots of keeper Grays which of course we had to throw back once we hit our limit and enough specks to make it worth fishing. The blowout held fish all day and there was a nice current running so once we put enough weight (3/8 and 1/2 oz) on our tails we started picking them up pretty much every cast. We fished the southwest end of the blowout just inside it and had a lot of success

Good luck and let us know how you do. If you find a real sweet spot for the big specks and feel like sharing it, DM me.

·
Registered
229 Posts
@bustman - New report in the coastal section. Nothing spectacular but definitely worth the effort. Lots of keeper Grays which of course we had to throw back once we hit our limit and enough specks to make it worth fishing. The blowout held fish all day and there was a nice current running so once we put enough weight (3/8 and 1/2 oz) on our tails we started picking them up pretty much every cast. We fished the southwest end of the blowout just inside it and had a lot of success

Good luck and let us know how you do. If you find a real sweet spot for the big specks and feel like sharing it, DM me.
Sounds like a good day . I will definitely let you know

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I saw we had a SCA yesterday and down on that part of the Pamlico, it can get iffy in a hurry! Not looking good for the latter part of the week so if you can get in tomorrow early, it might be your best bet! Winds out of the N shifting over to the ENE then E at under 10 up until about 1600 hrs then increasing from there. Friday is definitely not a good day to be on the water! Tight line but stay safe!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts