NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering of someone that keeps a fishing log would chime in and say what the water temps were last year this time. I was in a freshwater creek off the neuse last night and the water temp was 58. Its almost May! I would think normal would be 70 by now.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
yep water temps around here are usually pushing upper 60s - 70 by now. we had mid 60s til this last cold front.

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
Yeah, it's been a cool spring. Water temps have lagged behind what they did the last couple seasons, and although cold fronts are always a feature of Spring, the fronts have been timed just right and have been cold enough to make the late warm-up still continue to drag a bit. Water temp this past Saturday in the chilly misty rain was still only in the 62 to 64 degree range in some places, didn't find any water over 66. First of May I typically expect the water in the 70's for sure, just not there yet this year.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I just checked my fish count and I am slightly ahead of last years pace and that's without catching a fish in February this year. Last week was great for me I had outings of 7,5,5 and 4 fish. Landed 6 yesterday nothing bigger than two pounds but not bad for a few hours outside.

i fished falls lake two weeks ago water temps were near 68 but the cold front last weekend dropped them back down we did chart a few spots in middle 60's

Reactions: NCStateFisher

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I don't think there is any doubt now that the climate is going through a cooling phase. Look at the last three winters, plus the fact most agree there has been zero warming now for 17 years.
Usually, hummingbirds show up in NC mid March. Saw the first one last week at my feeders.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
I havent caught a fish yet that had a pocket calendar or smart phone with weather app. I base my late winter/early spring strategy alot on water temp, it usually gets me pretty close to fish. I would fish 60 degree water the same in mid March as I would in mid April. The 55-60 range is usually when they disappear from my winter spots and prespawn spot start heading for the hill to spawn.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Fish are sensitive to photo periods or in plain language the days getting longer, so they do have an internal calendar of sorts. They are sensitive to fronts that change the pressure so they have an internal barometer (weather gauge) of sorts. But I think temps are the primary trigger. They will spawn in water cooler than they like when the days get long enough.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I havent caught a fish yet that had a pocket calendar or smart phone with weather app. I base my late winter/early spring strategy alot on water temp, it usually gets me pretty close to fish. I would fish 60 degree water the same in mid March as I would in mid April. The 55-60 range is usually when they disappear from my winter spots and prespawn spot start heading for the hill to spawn.
fishing from the banks hard to tell water temps. The bass generally hang in same areas its just that about time of spawn the big ones move out and the dinks move in. The big ones are back near banks for morning and evening topwater and the dinks will be in these spots for the afternoon bite.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.