NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a good bit of research on the Eagle FishMark 320 and similar units. I know it runs on 8 D batteries but I can't find anything that states how long the unit will run on a set of batteries. Anyone who has used one have any ideas? Also, as an alternative to the D batteries, can you hook the unit to a 12V trolling motor battery in a jon boat?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I don't know the fishfinder, but from a strictly electrical standpoint, I'd say it's likely to run fine from the battery. 8 D-cells will give you somewhere around 10 to 12 volts, and the trolling-motor battery is likely to produce up to 13.8 volts at full charge. If the fishfinder has a plug for auto use, it'll handle the 13.8 volts just fine. If you're worried about the 1.8 volt difference, you could get an adapter from any discount retailer like you might use to plug a portable CD player into the car -- look for one that produces 12 volts and at least enough amps to satisfy the fishfinder. Radio Shack usually has a couple of adjustable ones.
Good luck
Lefty

·
Registered
337 Posts
I looked at the instruction manual for the Eagle FishMark 320 on-line and it shows a 12 volt battery connection as well as an optional cigarette lighter adapter. That suggests that using the trolling motor battery will do just fine. I have a Humminbird PiranahMax 15 in my Prowler kayak that I operate with a 7 Ahr 12 volt that provides 13.6 volts on a good day. It can also be operated with a bank of AA cells.

As for me, I'd use the big battery whenever possible to keep from grinding up a giggagillion dollars on throw-aways.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'm just not sure which fish finder to get. Too many choices. I will be using it in my fathers jon boat in South Carolina but want to be able to bring it back to NC and use it here also. I don't have a boat so I fish lakes in the Triad that have rental jon boats. I want to be able to use the fish finder on the rentals at Salem Lake etc. What do you guys recommend. $200 is about my max. I definitely don't want to have to go through 8 million D batteries though.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Another option might be to use the rechargeable "D" batteries. They make ones that are meant to be used in place of Alkaline batteries and can be found at most discount stores. Only problem is it might get expensive to get a charger big enough to handle 8 batteries at once.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I bought my "gel cells" after they were replaced as a part of regular maintenance on Uninterruptible Power Supplies. I use a motorcycle trickle charger (about $15) whose float voltage I turned down to closer to 12 volts. If you can find a secondhand UPS, you're all set, just use the battery and the charger.

If there's a ham-radio "hamfest" in your area sometime, you can probably get that battery for less than 20.
Good luck - lefty

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm with Lefty on this issue ... I have two batteries from the routine maintenance of a couple of UPSs. I use a UPS donated by one of my students as a charger and switch the batteries out for charging. I also have a couple of 6-volt gel cells that I get donated during regular safety light maintenance. I put two of them in series and charge them as 12-volt units.

As for which fish finder to buy ... pick the one you like the best. The more pixels on the screen, the better. Figure that at a screen resolution of 160 pixels vertical and a water depth of 30 feet, each pixel represents 2.3 inches. At 10 feet, that same pixel represents only 3/4 of an inch. For my money (about $90.00 of it, to be exact), I bought the Humminbird PiranahMax 15 for my kayak. It works just fine with a gel cell, a trolling motor battery, or a gang of 8 dry cells in a holder from Radio Shack.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Did you get one?

Did you buya portable? Just wondering. Also saw the humminbird one that you is like a wrist watch. Was wondering how that works as well.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I bought an Eagle Fishmark 480 for my kayak. I was in Gander Mountain one afternoon and noticed a small rechargeable 12 battery used to power Game Feeders. I can get 10 to 12 hrs of runtime with each charge. I spoke with an Eagle Rep who explained that the portable pack would cost around $50.00 and that I could expect around 8 hrs of use from a set of batteries. Here's a link to this type of battery. http://www.batterycountry.com/ShopSite/game-feeder-batteries.html

I understand that this type of battery can be purchased at Radio Shack, as well. It's the same battery that used to back up alarm systems.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Coach D said:
Did you buya portable? Just wondering. Also saw the humminbird one that you is like a wrist watch. Was wondering how that works as well.
Coach D,

About the wrist watch type depth finder, I'll refer back to the discussion about pixels. The biggest problem I see with the small screen is the small screen. Maybe its a function of my half-century + eyesight, but I like a bigger image.

You can make almost any of the finders portable by mounting them on a suitable case (for holding the batteries) and making a transducer mount from PVC and some type of clamp.

Doc

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Just a note to let you guys that have electronics like fish finders on your kayaks or boats know, we now have some relatively inexpensive but very well made Electronics Jackets in the eStore. They are constructed of heavy duty, water resistant 200 denier nylon and are lined on one side with ProTec fabric. They are water and UV resistant yet breathable to prevent heat build-up. The sizes are listed at the bottom of the page located here. :)

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Coach Kinsey

Thanks for the info...to bad I'm fishing from the shore right now until I can get my little jon boat going. (Or until I get the wife to let me buy a new one, although she says I gotta get rid of grampa's boat if I get a new one and that ain't happening).

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
For WilliamJ

I wouldnt see why you couldnt hook it up to a regular 12v battery. You would need to have a fuse though at the positive connection if it doesnt have one.

tell ya what, since your in Winston Salem, stop by Grubb's Marine and ask for Todd, he'll set ya up with how it needs to be, tell him Dave sent ya. He'll make sure your set right.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
NCangler said:
we now have some relatively inexpensive but very well made Electronics Jackets in the eStore.
<chuckle> I was looking under "clothing" -- I'd been scratching my head trying to figure out what this could have been.... Man, it's getting late...
Lefty

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.