NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple years ago when I was just getting into the hobby, I was generously given a Abu Ambassadeur "SIX" Reel by someone on this site. The reel is a little older, said the line was last changed in '94, but beautiful and in great condition.

Shortly after receiving it, I tried using it a couple times but quickly became frustrated at my inability to cast it, undoubtedly thanks to my inexperience, impatience, and failure to do my research. The line from '94 couldn't have helped much, either.

A couple years later and after using similar casting reels for the first time successfully on my first offshore trip this past weekend, I am eager to try the Abu again. I liked the advantage in torque it seemed to offer over similar spinning reels and also figure now, as I get started kayak fishing, is as good a time to try again as any.

After removing the old line, I am wondering what would be a good line to pair with this reel. I have a spool of 20lb Trilene and was wondering if it would be a good choice.

Also, what would be a decent, low end rod to mate it with? I imagine I'll want something medium heavy. Currently, the only thing I have now that fits the bill is a cheap-ish, 6'6" Shakespeare Power Rod.

I'll be using this reel mostly for catfish and perhaps some saltwater fishing if you all recommend it.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If this reel hasn't received a good clean and lube in 20+ years, I'd recommend you do that. There are youtube videos galore on how to dismantle, clean, and lube an Abu round reel. They're all pretty similar.

For line selection - 20 lb Trilene is fine for soaking bait in fresh or saltwater. It won't do much for your casting distance. Depends on your intended use.

For rod selection - This really depends on your use. If you're bank or boat fishing for cats most of the time, any 6'6" to 7'6" MH or H rod is going to be able to handle most of the fish you catch.

I have two 6000 Abu reels. One is on a 6'6" MH bass style rod for small cats, lighter live bait applications, and mixed bass/cat use, 14 lb line. The other is on a 7' H rod with 20 or 30 lb line.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply FW,

The reel has been cleaned and lubed recently don't worry.

I don't think I'll be using the reel much for bass and will stick with spinning and fly gear for them. I think it will be mostly for cats from the boat and shore and maybe for saltwater use a couple times a year.

What line would you recommend for better casting distance?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
20 pound power pro braid. Will give you very good castability and be good for hauling cats to the boat.

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
If it's distance you are after the very first thing I would do is replace bearing or bushings with ceramic bearings especially with the age of that reel. Tune the reel and add line.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
~15 lb mono or ~30 lb braid for casting distance. With 30 lb braid, you can do pretty much anything with it. If you fish salt (surf/pier), consider using a long mono leader in stronger currents to avoid getting the braid wrapped up in your swivel or bottom rig.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts