NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a trip up to Boone this weekend to stay with basswrangler and got on some nice fish every day so far!
Day 1:
I left my house at 4:00 am and met Dbeam at 7:30 and we drove up to fish some Delayed harvest waters. Had by far my best day of trout fishing ever and caught close to fifteen trout. We saw about a hundred more and spent all day trying to get them to bite. In Dbeam's opinion we should have caught a bunch more but to me that didn't seem possible. Previously I have spent entire weekends chasing two or maybe three trout if I am lucky. Fishing with him was a wonderful experience. I learned more about trout fishing then I had learned in years of fishing trips alone. Absolutely a great guy and I hope to fish with him again soon. Water Cargo pants Outdoor recreation Waders Fisherman
Salmon-like fish Fish Ray-finned fish Oncorhynchus Trout

Day 2:
Basswrangler, who is recovering from an ACL surgery, and I accepted an invitation from Dbeam to float the Yadkin with him and some of the RedX guys for bass and trout. He was kind enough to lend us a tandem yak so we put in at 8:45 for the 7 mile float trip. It took some getting used to but eventually we dialed it in and I managed my first ever 2 spots and also 2 largemouths. I tried so hard for a smallie but no luck. Basswrangler caught a smallie, a spot, and a trout. It was the best float trip I have ever been on and truly a great group of guys.
Water Boat Watercraft Paddle Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Water Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Lake Watercraft
Water Smile Cap Baseball cap Fisherman
Plant Tree Grass Beard Baseball cap

Day 3: Met up with my brother after church and went to some hatchery supported water near Boone that Dbeam had suggested I fish. We drove around a bit and found a hole that it hadn't looked like anyone had fished, (there were tons of people all up and down the rest of the creek) and immediately started throwing a roostertail. My brother hooked up on his second cast with a beautiful brown trout in the 10" range and it went on the stringer. Seconds later I caught the funniest looking brook trout I have ever seen. Short, Stalky, and powerful. Water Salmon-like fish Oncorhynchus Fish Brown trout
Any thoughts on what made him look so different? I'd say he was my catch of the weekend thus far. We pulled a few more from that hole and then moved up the creek to a few other spots. Total for that creek was 8 trout in about 1 hour. We drove around a bit and then tried a hatchery supported stretch of river that no one else was fishing. We didn't expect much because no one was even trying to fish it on a beautiful sunday afternoon...We were wrong. First cast my brother caught an 11" brown. Seconds later I pulled out a similar sized rainbow. After that, it was nonstop. We fished up that river until dark and ended up bringing home a double limit of trout in the 10-14" range and threw back a dozen in the 8-10" range. Also caught a mess of tiny trout. Hand Water Fluid Organism Fish
Total for day 3 is sitting at 37 trout, which actually beat my best ever day of trout fishing, which was previously day one!

Day 4: As I type this, I am waiting for my brother to wake up so we can go chase some smallmouth. I have a slam of trout and all I lack for a slam of bass is a smallmouth. I would love to go home with two slams under my belt.

All in all, over forty trout, four bass, new friends, and a ton of good food! Food Cuisine Ingredient Plastic wrap Event
Food Tableware Ingredient Fast food Recipe

·
Registered
261 Posts
Someone may chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. But that "funny looking" brown trout you caught looks to me like a Brook trout.

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Looks like a great trip ... and you're 100% correct. Mr. Darrell is one of the best guys to fish with anywhere!

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Someone may chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. But that "funny looking" brown trout you caught looks to me like a Brook trout.
I said it was a brook trout in the post. At least that's what I thought it was. I wondered if maybe it was a wild one instead of a stocked one? It was the only one that didn't look exactly the same.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I said it was a brook trout in the post. At least that's what I thought it was. I wondered if maybe it was a wild one instead of a stocked one? It was the only one that didn't look exactly the same.

i apologize, I read the post wrong. Thought it said brown trout. Either way, darn nice outting.

Reactions: Swampin'

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Oh Wow I can't believe I missed this on the first time around. Thanks for the kind words Cody and Dave. never miss a chance to fish with PapaDave either!

j.edwards, ;et me know if I can help you make a trip out this way happen,

Cody, brother, basswrangler, I would be honored to share a lake,pond, creek or river with any of you anytime.

Darrell

·
Registered
301 Posts
Brookies have that white on the pectorals, and the spots, dead giveaway and they get huge on the watauga. Also I misread the post initially, it sounded like you had taken fish at the DH. My bad :D

Reactions: Swampin'
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.