NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16 foot 1988 South Seas (Florida manufacture, doesn’t seem to be in business any longer). I would like to add a trolling motor but I am not sure what i need to do. I would prefer a bow mounted motor. But the bow side (gunwale) is pretty steep (6 inches). I don’t see how a traditional bow mount would work.

I think if we built a "platform" to allow for a more flush mounting. But honestly I dont have those skills. Any suggestions who could do this work?

The second option would be to mount it on the transom and I think this would be fine but much less convenient. Any advice on transom mounted trolling motors

Btw does anyone have a recommendation for some upholstery work in the Raleigh area? I would like to get the cushions redone.

thanks
cobra-drvr

Attachments

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
COBRA,
I believe you will be much happier with a bow mount motor. That said if you will be using this in a no current lake you could get by with a 12 volt 55 lb thrust. I think you would be much happier with a 24 volt 70 lb thrust motor or bigger. I agree you will need to build a platform. The simplist thing to do is get a length of 6"x6" treated post that is 4"-6" longer than the base of the motor and mount this diagonally to the deck. It may have to be ripped in order to be flush with the gunwale.

Or get a good aluminum plate and mount this diagonally from one side of the gunnel to the bow and then mount the motor on top of this plate. This actually may be best as you will not have to drill holes into the deck, only the gunwales. You could use the 6x6 under the plate for support. Just make sure everything is level. Either way I would definitely remove the bow rail and that center rope holder. Also you will have to change your bow light to one that will be above the motor.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info speckhunter80

Yep there is storage under there. I am not sure how far toward the bow it goes. I will check that out.

I think the way to go is to build a platform and mount a trolling motor on it. My problem is.....I can picture what I want, I can sketch up the plans, I can measure 5 times and cut once, it doesnt help I just cant do fine woodwork. Now it doesnt have to be perfect but level would be nice and I know my abilities and its just not a skill I have.

I would need to find someone that has the skills. Then it comes down to how much is this going to cost and is it worth sticking that in this boat? Ultimately in 2 years or so I plan to buy a nice bass boat. This is my starter boat that I can make all my mistakes on. I might be better off with a transom mount for the time being.

cobra-drvr

·
Registered
171 Posts
Cobra, I'm kinda in the same boat as you are.(anyone catch the pun). I've also got a older boat that I'm working on to set up for fishing and playing and I've come to the conclusion that since it'sa an older boat I'm not as concerned putting some screw holes or doing some modification as I would be on a newer one.Basically what i decided was I really like my older center console style so as need be I'll probably drop a new engine on it down the road a piece and since I'm gonna keep it I'll spend the money on a really good 24 volt trolling rig. I looked pretty hard at some of the outfits out there and after you buy the bells and whistles it's almost cheaper to go with a little higher end product. I'm going for the completely wireless sytem just for the ease of use and also to make it a little easier to launch and recover the boat by myself. Also if you buy the nice bass boat down the road you can always transfer the trolling rig over to the new boat and have a sytem that you are used plus the fact you will reduce the price of the new boat just a bit.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I forgot to say, the ones I'm looking at are the motorguide series one of the cool features is you can set it to keep you at a certain distance off the channel or to follow a specific bottom contour via sonar and then it's kinda set and forget and just concentrate on fishing not on driving the boat

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
yeah with that style boat ya need a step up a 6x6 lag bolted to the deck would be ideal.. make sure you use over sized washers on the lagbolts..

i use a 12volt 52 pound thrust troller on my lil boat..foot control all the way..

zooker

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'm working on doing the same thing on my old boat. I'll get it finished this week and post some pics.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you look in BPS, they make a metal piece that's made for mounting motors to. You could spruce this up with white paint, or even get creative and put some of that fleck finish from Lowe's on there, or even carpet it, as I think they come olive drab. They're made for jon boats. Installing the mount, or any mount, make sure you place washers on the underside, great big one's, like zooker said, you'd be amazed at the amount of stress a trolling motor can put on some mounts. Fill all the holes too, to help disctibute the weight.

Don't get a transom mount, you'll hate it, especially for bass fishing! If your plan is to upgrade the boat later, I'd get the bare minumim, save the money for the nice motor for the new boat :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.