NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to pick up fishing this year. My dad took me fishing a long time ago but I don't remember much. I'm interested in going bank fishing on Jordan Lake.

Can y'all offer me some advice on how to do this well? Any advice would be appreciated (location, bait, time, how-tos).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Try catfishing late evening and into the night for a way to beat the heat and also for some action. There are numerous bank fishing areas there but I like to find a point that leads out into the main lake. Take some bug spray and a lantern and a couple rod holders ( yes forked sticks work great ). I'd try shrimp, chicken livers, and shad if you can get some and you should do well.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Suggestion: Post in the "angler connections" forum that you'd like to meet someone and fish with them. I'm too far from Raleigh to help you, but I imagine that someone there will invest a couple of hours working you through the basics.

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
I'll agree with gambusia. Throw a faithful crawler out and let it soak. For the most part they don't "go to waste"....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your advice.

Is there a noticeable difference between nightcrawlers, smaller worms, and minnows in what you can catch? Or I guess are fish picky on what bait they go for.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Crickets are great to use as well! Certain fish go after certain bait. Using a minnow for instance, your likely to catch a bass or a striper. Bigger bait....bigger fish! Now nightcrawlers will catch you any kind of fish due to its size. As long as a big fish swims by and is hungry, likely you might catch one

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
Thank you all for your advice.

Is there a noticeable difference between nightcrawlers, smaller worms, and minnows in what you can catch? Or I guess are fish picky on what bait they go for.
Sort of and sort of not. Either bait will land you plenty of fish.....try one on an outing then try the other.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Nightcrawlers seem to be preferred by a number of bottom feeding fish like catfish, suckers, carps, freshwater drum, as well as bigger fish such as largemouth bass and walleye.

You can even find "green" nightcrawlers which have a chartreuse color tint to them.

Now if you want to try for a white bass or big largemouth, a golden shiner on a circle hook is worth a try.

When I live bait fish from the bank I usually try a mix of nightcrawlers, and bait fish, generally golden shiners or maybe creek chubs.

Now if you really want to catch some fish, go look for some crayfish. Everything loves crayfish (crawfish or crabs)

All depends on what your local bait shops sell or what you are willing to legally collect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts