NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,I used to bass fish alittle growing up using worms.What kinda baits ,maybe top 5 five to make I have in my box?Any advice is appreciated.We will be fishing rivers (neuse,new river ) mostly but some lakes

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
You are going to get a lot of answers to this...and if you do a search with the tool in the upper right hand search bar, you can find a lot.

That said, I like crankbaits that run anywhere from 4 to 12 feet, depending on the time of year, of course...jerkbaits - ANY time of year...super flukes all year...flipping tubes (Vertical Lures Tube X) all year and did I mention super flukes?

Reactions: Abert43

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
Above advice is all good, bass will hit a variety of baits so they are fun to pursue as one can take a number of different approaches. Some days they all work, some days one or two are particularly effective and some days they just don't seem to want to hit anything. I do recommend trying to go with someone who is knowledgeable a time or two, it really helps to see something done than to figure it out just by trial and error.

Good luck!

Reactions: jerry condrey

·
Registered
13 Posts
Totally agree with everything above. Defiantly want to get some top water frogs, I've had great luck with them. I have two primary colors, black for night fishing and white for day. I just picked up a Heddon wounded Zara lure ere is a thread on it if you search for it. I would say this is probably a must to add to your box.

March co I usually have really good luck using zoom lizards (pumpkin and watermelon) and a good pair of polarized sun glasses. You can see the rings from the bass laying eggs and they no likey those lizards come into their nest so they strike on those lizards.

Other than that and the things listed above, this seems to be a great community so I would recommend linking up with some of the bass fishers come March time and I'm sure there are plenty of great guys on here who are willing to go out with you to get you in the groove.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Rusty,

I would offer this, I think your smart to limit it to a top five for now. Whatever five you end up choosing, fish those five, catch fish, build your confidence with those five and fish them some more. Everything that has been recommended will catch bass on the Neuse and New rivers, that should help with your confidence right off the bat. Resist the urge to fill your box with every shiny lure that your local tackle store has. When you can fish your current five with confidence and catch fish on a regular basis, pick another five to start learning. This will ensure that you don't end up with any non productive residents in your tackle box that only take up space and frustrates you every time you look at them. With all that said, my five recommended would be (in no particular order) a shaky head jig to be fished with a 4-5" finesse worm, a buzz bait, a crank bait, a texas rigged worm and a floating frog. I hope this helps, good luck out there on the water and keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
748 Posts
fish the neuse constantly. you will want these baits:

buzzbait
popper
beaver/craw (beaver works more often)
floating worm/senko (i like the floater)
squarebill (or 4-8' could work similarly, i like the square)
chatterbait/spinnerbait (i like the chatter)

these are ALL requirements. everything else will work on certain days, but these always seem to work somewhere in the river. so you need 6. if i left one home it would be the crank, but i wouldn't.

·
Registered
595 Posts
When you see one of those spots you just know a bass is hanging out, and it's early in the morning, nothing beats a top water strike. I always have one rod rigged and ready with a top water lure. Did I mention how much fun getting one on top is? :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.