NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to Nags Head in Sept. and would like some advice from you experienced Drum fisherman. I usually catch live mullet between 3 and 6 inches long and rig up a Carolina Rig (2OZ) with 40LB Flourocarbon leader to throw into the surf. One of my questions is what is the best hook to use for a mullet between 3 and 6 inches long. Also is it NC law to use circle hooks on Reds I think I read that somewhere. Any other Drum fishing tips would be appreciated but remember I do not have access to a boat I will be surf fishing.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
A 3/0 circle hook is what I prefer for what you are wanting to do. The law that you are referring to is in regards to fishing the sound between the hours of 7pm and 7am for old drum. The law states that when fishing in Pamlico Sound between 7pm and 7 am while using a hook larger than 4/0, you must be using a fixed egg sinker of 2 oz or greater with a leader length not to exceed 6 inches. http://portal.ncdenr.org/c/document...10f-42d4-4a91-a5a5-29aae761129d&groupId=38337

This law does not refer to fishing the surf, only sound side.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
No reason whatsoever for it to be a bummer. If you are fishing pamlico sound between the hours of 7pm and 7am with a hook larger than 4/0 you ARE targeting old drum. The hook up ratio with the owen lupton style rigs is nearly 100 percent and I've NEVER had one pull or throw the hook and I think out of all hookups I've had 1 that got off and that was my fault due to a bad crimp. Those fish are the breading stock and every bit of care possible should be taken to decrease mortality.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Being bottom feeders Drum arent as sensitive to weight and their eyesight isnt all that keen so it's just more food to them.. Just like a big catfish... but ALOT more fight!!

Reactions: KingOfTheRiver12

·
Registered
505 Posts
When I was surf fishing at Buxton in May I bought some nice drum rigs that have a short leader of really heavy mono, maybe 6", a big circle hook, then a swivel and a sliding weight gizmo. I heard it called a 'fishfinder' rig. In any case, it worked pretty well for me using that with cut fresh mullet. I caught a range of fish on it, including one big drum. Every fish, even the small blues, were neatly hooked in the corner of the mouth, no deep or foul hooks.

I was casting it with a heavy surf spinning setup and a 4oz weight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.