NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on here fish cherokee tribal waters? If so im going up mon and tues and need some good advice on baits and places to fish. I know im fishing soco creek cause it runs through campground but would like to know some other good spots. Thanks!!

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I would not be any help for you, but would love to know the campground Soco Creek runs through. I used to stay at a campground several years ago, that had the word Holiday in the name. I am thinking it was on Hwy 19. Can't remember the name of that creek, but it split and ran all the way around the camping area.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would not be any help for you, but would love to know the campground Soco Creek runs through. I used to stay at a campground several years ago, that had the word Holiday in the name. I am thinking it was on Hwy 19. Can't remember the name of that creek, but it split and ran all the way around the camping area.
We will be at cherokee campground and craigs cabins, right behind the wendy's. You are talking about happy holiday which if im correct soco creek runs through it or near it as well.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I'll be there tomorrow, someone I work with wants some fish. There are 100's of great baits and everyone will swear by something. Canned corn. salmon eggs, worms, crickets, Berkley Strike are my favorites when I visit the dark side:cool:. If your chunking hardware, panther martins, joes flies, rapalas all work. As for places to fish, I start in Bunches creek early in the a.m. and work my way toward town. Being the week before the 4th, they should have plenty of fish stocked for the masses. Just beware of the C&R section, there are plenty of signs marking it. Don't forget the bigger water below Cherokee as you head to Bryson City, I always hit that on my way out of town.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be there tomorrow, someone I work with wants some fish. There are 100's of great baits and everyone will swear by something. Canned corn. salmon eggs, worms, crickets, Berkley Strike are my favorites when I visit the dark side:cool:. If your chunking hardware, panther martins, joes flies, rapalas all work. As for places to fish, I start in Bunches creek early in the a.m. and work my way toward town. Being the week before the 4th, they should have plenty of fish stocked for the masses. Just beware of the C&R section, there are plenty of signs marking it. Don't forget the bigger water below Cherokee as you head to Bryson City, I always hit that on my way out of town.
The last time I was up there the big water near town you couldn't get in if you wanted! Boo coos of kids playing! I do not know alot about there im still learning. Ive fished cherokee about three times. Ive stayed at india creek CG and fished a small portion of bunches creek there. Ive also stayed at river valley CG and fished some of raven fork around there. But we now stay at cherokee CG and craigs cabins on Soco creek and ive fished it from close to harrahs all the way down to the lower bridge where i had to turn around because thats where it leaves tribal waters if you go under the bridge. So still a lot of places to learn thats why i asked for help here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Head up big cove rd. just before the school there is a little bridge on your left. This road actually runs you over to 441 just above the luftee visitor center but it's closed off. When I lived in govt quarters this was my fishing hole after work. You can fish tribal water there or in park waters right behind the VC, both good but the tribal water is obviously better odds.

What slickrock said about the water towards Bryson is a good spot too.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Happy Holiday it is bsud. Thanks, I have camped there many times, but it has been a long while. My parents also used that one a lot.

Craig's cabins sounds interesting.

We will be at cherokee campground and craigs cabins, right behind the wendy's. You are talking about happy holiday which if im correct soco creek runs through it or near it as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Happy Holiday it is bsud. Thanks, I have camped there many times, but it has been a long while. My parents also used that one a lot.

Craig's cabins sounds interesting.
Yea RouseD craigs cabins CG is awesome very friendly people just like family, very well upkept place. We will not stay anywhere else now. We love it there!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys! Heading up tomorrow morning, gonna fish tomorrow evening and all day tues! Can't wait to get into those waters! We have good trout fishing here at home in SC but the stockers are just small here, cherokee stocks some big trout. I caught my biggest Rainbow ever about 8yrs ago out of raven fork when we camped at river valley. So there some big ones i know just haven't fished up there much but hope to start getting up that way more. I will try and post some pics for you all. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
water was low. We

skipped it and fished the park. Tons of tubers but saw people with fish so have fun and post some pics.
Yea thats why i never likeed fishing the park while school is out for summer, it is always crazy crowded!! Hopefully I can find some good spots to catch a few!

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
there is 30 miles of water, you will catch fish;) don't overlook the bigger water as you head towards Bryson City. There were plenty of fish on stringers today. What was surprising was we saw maybe five vehicles on the C&R stretch. Most were fishing below the Parkway Bridge and above the KOA. There were people pulling fish out of the ponds as we were heading to Straight Fork.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
there is 30 miles of water, you will catch fish;) don't overlook the bigger water as you head towards Bryson City. There were plenty of fish on stringers today. What was surprising was we saw maybe five vehicles on the C&R stretch. Most were fishing below the Parkway Bridge and above the KOA. There were people pulling fish out of the ponds as we were heading to Straight Fork.
Im not sure I understand where you talking about bigger water toward bryson city. Can you point me in right direction as to where you talking about?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't got a chance to fish many places as it has been pretty crowded up here! I have caught some fish so it has been a great trip. Im gonna fish the Soco here at CG again this evening and hope to snag a few more.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well got 4 more this evening and let a couple get loose, hate when that happens but I didn't take net with me. Anyway yea I found that berkley pink shad trout worms is some good stuff! Anyway great trip headed out in the morning but coming back in sept. Thanks for all the help guys!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts