NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the weather forecast calling for rain, my charter decided to reschedule there trip for a dry day. Around eleven, the sky cleared and the wind fell out, so I told my seven year old to dress warm and we were off. Once we got outside the inlet, the ocean was flat clam. We only had a few hour to fish, so I put the hammer down and we were flying along at 55mph headed toward Corolla. Once we arrived in the area, you could see where the fish were, by the thousands of Gannets diving in the water. I drop two lines in the water and no sooner than I set the drag, both of them starting singing. After 45 minutes of that, my son was wore out and took a breather. I couldn’t keep up with two lines, so both of them came in and I went to jigging. I couldn’t believe it, but I caught bigger fish this way using smaller lures. I’d have to argue with the person that said, bigger bait, bigger fish. I was using 3oz bucktails and catching 35lb plus fish. My son got back into the action when the old man pulled in the first big one. We ended the day with them still biting and our two biggest fish at 37lbs and 46lbs, citations for the both of us. You don’t get many days that nice. Next time you guys might not let a little rain ruin a good day of fishing.

Tight lines, Ray

Attachments

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I'm glad they canceled. The little man can always use a little quality time with his Hero. Citation stripers.....icing on the cake! If I ever hit the powerball I'll put you a boat lift on the ACE pier at Duck. Of course that is a BIG IF. In the meantime maybe them stripers will find their way south. Tightlines and fair weather....and train that boy right!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Spending quality time with the boy is priceless. Good job dad!

Funny though.. sometimes weather get's better as quick as it can get bad.. Too bad, but they probably made the best call at the time.. even though they probably ended up kickin themselves in the rear. I know the guys I fish with are the "pick a lane and get in it" kinda guys. If it's good/bad/whatever and they want to go, we're gone.. at least we can call it (i.e. game over) once on the water if it's that bad.

Great job on the stripers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.