NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Jacksonville, NC!

Weeklong story short - My dad invited me to join him a few friends on a fishing trip to Maine back in May. I went so I could tow the boat (that's the real reason he asked). The first morning up there, he and I easily caught 50 fish (95% smallmouth). We hit it at the right time, during pre-spawn and all the females we caught still had their eggs. On the last day of the trip, I caught the lunker smallmouth that is in the picture. We did not have a scale but estimate it is between 5-7 pounds. I approximate it is about 21 inches long and 8-9 inches wide (using the 9 inch glove beside it as a reference).

Needless to say, after that trip, I got hooked, much to the dismay of my wife.

After that trip, I convinced my wife to let me buy a boat... 1998 Stratos 283 DC with 150 Evinrude Intruder.

I've been out on the White Oak River with my Trophy 126 Kayak with no success of landing anything... yet.

I took the Stratos out on New River (Jacksonville) from the new boat ramp over the 4th of July weekend with my neighbor and we caught nine fish (6 largemouth-3 dinks, 2 "blackfish"-not sure what they really are, and one panfish-on a dual-treble hook shallow diver).
All largemouth caught were in about 1-4 feet of water. Both "blackfish" were also. The panfish was next to a dead tree coming out of the water (probably about 3 feet deep).

We had a good time. Can't wait to get out to some of the lakes around here. Any suggestions for good bass fishing?

-Pez

Attachments

Reactions: BigE818

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Looks like you have a great setup! Nice smallie, I want to go fish up that way someday for some epic smallmouth fishing. I can't help much with that area of the state, but if you're ever in the Triad let me know.

What people call "blackfish" (assuming it's the same thing) is a Bowfin. AKA Mudfish, or if it's me the Toothy Demon That Tears Up My Gear. :D They are a fun fight, but can make a mess once they are in the boat if they are not played out.

Looking forward to some reports, and good luck. Welcome to NCAngler!

Reactions: Pez2385

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bingo! It's a bowfin... at least it looks almost identical. If we ever catch another I'll grab a picture and put it up. Thanks!
The one I caught I got to the boat and was about to pull it in and SNAP went the line. I said to my buddy, "You can keep that! I didn't want to deal with you anyway."

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!
My neighbor is looking to get a 21' or larger bay boat so he can take me saltwater fishing. :) He's told me about the red drum.
I'm afraid to get hooked on anything more but am definitely looking forward to it! :p

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Speaking of the Triad, I'm hoping to get up that way in the next year or so, prior to my possible transfer from down here. I'll definitely hit you up.
My neighbor and I were talking about going on a trip. He has a camper that can sleep four (I think). So he'd bring the camper, I'd bring the boat and we'd have a weekend of fishing. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all! Glad to be here. Already met some local guys, and have bought some good stuff from the Classifieds!
I'm looking forward to reading and sharing some fishing stories/pictures!

Reactions: BigE818

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BigE - Didn't catch a thing except sticks and stones. We tried fishing for squirrels but that didn't work out so well. Lost a worm or two. Went down to Sutton Lake this past weekend and my neighbor caught the one and only fish on a small Alabama rig. How about yourself?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Speck: Ahhhh. I got it. Haha. For some reason I was thinking more along the lines of like "upgrades" on the boat. Haha. I want to get out and do some drum fishing in the next few weeks. I hear they are fun fish to catch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.