NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
What are the rules for NC with regards to the number of baits that can have hooks on the Alabama Rig?
I'm in AZ and here the rule is only two baits can have hooks.
No rules in NC, fish as many as you would like. That said, there might be a body of water or two that has its own rules but nothing at the state level.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Welcome to the site Brian I crossed most of AZ on I 40 one time and I don't think I saw any water at all to speak of. I would love to see some pics of where your fishing and what your catching it looks like you've got a couple of nice bass on the Avatar.

Darrell

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've been curious about Alabama rigs being used for the salt/brackish species. Do you troll them or cast them? What do you typically use on them as far as lures/plastics? I bought the same one from Dick's in Greenville and haven't used it yet. Where do you use them? Main Channels? I'd love to drag it through a school of trout and catch a limit on one cast. I do not know much about the whole Alabama rig so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
I'm not aware of any state laws re: hooks per rig. There are often tournament-specific rules if you're fishing competitively, and there may be some lake-specific rules (none that I know in my area) in some places.

I typically use swimbaits loaded up on 1/8 ounce jig heads in whatever favorite color (I use white or shad patterns); either standard paddle-tail swimbaits work, or some use curly tail grubs instead. I have seen them trolled a lot, especially for stripers, but I am always after largemouth and typically don't troll so when I have used one I have been casting. Buddy of mine has more time with it than I do, and I have seen him catch some nice fish casting a Flash Mob Jr. If you're casting one, you'll need a stout rod, preferably a long one, and heavy line. The tension on the line when you cast it gets pretty high, hence the bigger line requirement. It's more of a strong lob than a cast, really. Lately I have been using a heavy action 7 footer with a baitcaster loaded with 50lb braid - this was the setup I had for fishing milfoil mats in Alabama recently, and it turned out to work nicely for my A-rig after I got home.

I have no experience using it for salt species, but I can say that I have worn out some specks with a white money minnow swimbait when I go to Pensacola, so I don't see any reason that an A-rig wouldn't work.

Reactions: dbeam
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.