NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help identifing this critter and how to ready it for the grill (steaks vs. fillets). Started out fishing for sheepshead and saw fish busting bait on top of the water. Thought they were blues. Changed bait to a white gotcha threw out and caught a spec! Turned it loose tossed the pug and came back with this (after about 5 minutes). It was a handful on my 7 foot light action rod. This was the only one caught out of what appeared to be a pretty big shcool.

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help with the ID. I was fishing at the entrance to bald head marina at high tide. They came to the top twice while I was wrestling with him and once more as I was taking him off the hook. I thought they were after finger mullet which I had just seen pass by but this is what he had been eating.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I've been told that they aren't bad eating...If you know what to do with them. Any that I kill usually wind up as bait. I have heard a couple of different ways to handle them: but there are plenty of fish out there that I already KNOW are good. One of these days I might try to turn that sow's ear into a silk purse. In the mean time I know they are good bait if I hook one back in the gills.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
False Albacore are horrible table fare - they are very bony and bloody. The fish in that picture is a False Albie for sure. They are a blast to catch though.

A lot of times, folks that think they are good to eat are confusing them with Atlantic Bonito, which has similar stripes and is very good to eat.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The meat is very red and they have a very strong flavor. If you choose to eat them, you will have to bleed them while they are still alive. Marinating them in milk or a vinegar base will take out a lot of the gaminess and then grilling them will give a smokey flavor to help mask the strong natural flavor.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was a blast to catch for sure TA. Hate hear it's not that good on the table. I'll be judging for myself as I eat what I bring home. When I was a younger kid, I didn't have to eat EVERYTHING on the table, just what I put on my plate. He'll be on my plate.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
It was a blast to catch for sure TA. Hate hear it's not that good on the table. I'll be judging for myself as I eat what I bring home. When I was a younger kid, I didn't have to eat EVERYTHING on the table, just what I put on my plate. He'll be on my plate.
Kool - let us know how you like them. If you like 'em - I'm sure you can have all you want!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Mattitude's treatment is what I've always heard. I think buttermilk was what the old timers used. The bleeding while still alive is very important. I've heard that jack crevalle were ok with the same treatment. Actually, I heard good; but I don't know about that. I don't want to get anybody's hopes up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.