NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
Chicken livers have always served me well. The smell of those don't hold a candle to some baits guys use for cats.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Used old hose for years with liver, graduated to using coffee filters a few years ago as an experiment. I figured paper was more environmentally friendly and it works good. You only need the strength to hold it together for a good cast and a little soak time. I figure the Santee Cooper still has little squares of my mom's nylons buried in the silt from 30 yrs ago LOL!!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Fresh shrimp works best for me. Bought some chicken liver once but the smell absolutely grossed me out so I never used it.
Chicken livers are best fried, put on a plate, and served hot.

Learned a long time ago, the fresher the bait the better for catching fish.
I don't know where the idea that channel catfish are garbage trucks came from.
My favorite non live best producing bait has been FRESH shrimp. When it turns pink, throw it out. It's lost it's effectiveness.

But you can go sit on the bank of the Neuse with earthworms and minnows and catch NICE channels.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Some how I had never heard of using shrimp untill recently. I'm planning to try them the next time we go out. Never been a big fan of the chicken liver. It doesn't stay on the hook and tends to attract yellow jackets. I'm also not a fan of getting stung by yellow jackets.:D

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I'm just not into smelling like a pole cat especially when it's not necessary. I'll come off the water 2-3 o clock in the morning and hit a Waffle House on the way home.
Stink baiters.....fat chance. You got a dab of that stuff behind your ear, on the heel of your shoe, or the seat of your pants. You smell it but can't find it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've caught a lot on trout chow. Mainly all I use in small lakes and ponds. Caught small ones up to a 33 pound flat head on it. Using a corn puff in butternut flavoring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
I went cat fishing on Fall Lake tonight. We caught 15 channels, but most were pretty small. We only caught one >5 lbs. It was fun though. We caught pretty much all of them off shrimp except one off a worm. Used a little canned corn for chum, and it worked surprisingly well. I read about it online. Didn't catch anything the first hour and a half. Put a couple cans in the water and 30 minutes later we were catching at least one fish every 5 minutes or so.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Corn works great as chum. I use crack corn or deer corn and soak it a few days and boil it. And bait a hole with a few hundred pounds a few days before fishing. Go back and use whole kernel on hook and catch catfish and carp all day and night. Or you can use a packbait like soybean meal or chow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
536 Posts
I went cat fishing on Fall Lake tonight. We caught 15 channels, but most were pretty small. We only caught one >5 lbs. It was fun though. We caught pretty much all of them off shrimp except one off a worm. Used a little canned corn for chum, and it worked surprisingly well. I read about it online. Didn't catch anything the first hour and a half. Put a couple cans in the water and 30 minutes later we were catching at least one fish every 5 minutes or so.
Chumming with corn huh??? I never heard of that, I'm going to give that a try. So about 2 cans from food lion should suffice?

·
Registered
441 Posts
went to falls last weekend we had chicken livers, stinky catfish bait from walmart, and freezer burnt shrimp, all in the water at the same time...the channels only went for the shrimp so naturally we put the smelly away. Shrimp stayed on the hook much better too!

Reactions: sundrop

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Corn chum works best if you open each can and leave them sitting in the sun a few days. Problem is transporting the stinky corn to the lake. Spill any of the juice in your vehicle and you will have to burn it. Dog/cat food works too. Back before I became conscious of how stupid it was I used to toss in the can poked full of holes. Please don't do that, the lakes are littered enough.

Reactions: pizzamanrob

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
My corn chum.
Fill a 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full with feed corn, sorghum, or wheat. Pour 2 room temperature beers over it and fill with water and cover. 3 or 4 days the corn is soft.

Everyday if you can sling a scoop across the water in spots you fish.
Put a little out when you fish but not too much or the fish will fill up on the corn instead of your bait.

Catfish are easily trained.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nice recipe. I think that would work well. I might try it next time. I'll probably add some salt to it as well. It can't hurt since fish associate the high salinity to blood in the water, and it should increase the sent trail. Cheap and effective.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts