NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gotta quick question for anyone that is familiar with Alligator Bay just south of New River Inlet.
We have a house rented on the beach side of the bay.
Is there a specific channel location, or side of the bay I need to know about to get to the boat docks to the houses? House is on Sailview so dock is on the main part of the bay.

Without depths and just looking at google, it seems I should enter the bay on the south side, make my way to the back then head back northeast just outside of the docks.

Any pointers other than coming in first time on high tide :).

Thanks,
NW

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
I've never been there so can't help with local knowledge but I do advise you to go first on low tide over high tide. Sure you'll get there no problem at high tide but what good does that do you tomorrow when you're trying to leave half way through the falling? Find deep water on low tide and use that for your entry and exit to the ICW.

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
At high tide you may be able to get you bearings but it is still less than 2.5' for the most part everywhere. And expect to bump bottom.

I recommend engine tilted up and taking it easy as not to ground yourself.

But after you figure out your entrance and where you can and cannot go on plain is the way to get back to the creek.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you are on sailview I stay there every June, depending on the draft of your boat, you can leave straight from the docks and idle with motor slightly up and make It to the icw.... Now the houses closer to the community ramp it is a little shallower than the other side but is manageable at either tide if you idle, again depending on boat size and draft, hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
571 Posts
I went all over it a few weeks ago near low tide. Most of it is only 1.5 feet deep but all the crab pots stayed below the surface from what I saw. Lots of PVC markers in it as well that I am sure the locals have put in. I only used my trolling motor and stood in the front of the boat so I could see what was around.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
I was in there Sunday the 13th at high tide and it is very skinny. There are some PVC pipes marking a channel. Be careful it is very skinny and some of the pipes on the back side don't mark a thing. Maybe an old Flounder Pound net, but nothing there now. Mid tide I was getting less than 2' of water.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All, Thanks for the info.
Great responses and details, quick too.
Blackhand,
Yes, I'm going to be on Sailview.

Looks like mid to low tide and on the trolling motor first time in.
I do have a shallow draft, under a ft. Scout 162 with a heavy *** 90HP yammy.
Once I get in a time or two, I can do the raise the engine and putter in and out.

Great place for my kayak however!

Thanks,
NW

·
Registered
33 Posts
All, Thanks for the info.
Great responses and details, quick too.
Blackhand,
Yes, I'm going to be on Sailview.

Looks like mid to low tide and on the trolling motor first time in.
I do have a shallow draft, under a ft. Scout 162 with a heavy *** 90HP yammy.
Once I get in a time or two, I can do the raise the engine and putter in and out.

Great place for my kayak however!

Thanks,
NW
Its shouldnt be a problem with I got a 19ft sea hunt skiff drafts around 11 and I went in and out with motor almost down the whole time, Even ran in to the on plane... just eased off before I got there, no problems at all, just test it out, I know my routes as I have been there many times. Also If you look across theres the pink house on the point, Go about 3 houses right and fish those docks morning or afternoon, should be a good area, I always run to the river, but saw charters fishing there daily.... also at the bridge down the left. Good luck, Hope yall have fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts