NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i learned a valuable lesson that if you think your fine with not filling one of your scupper holes in your kayak your not. I had a nice small mouth bass in the boat when it shook off the hook and was flopping around in the foot well where i couldn't grab it fast enough. eventually it managed to slip right through the scupper hole! ill never make that mistake again! haha

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't think it can be classified as a scupper hole when it's big enough for a small mouth to slid through. If you are on a pedal drive and had the drive out then I could see a bass slipping through but a scupper is only about a half dollar in diameter on a kayak.

I was always plug mine but that is because I don't want my bait running for freedom when emptying the cast net.

- James -

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Fuquay fisherman what throwing technique do you use for throwing a net from a yak? I have been trying it with a 5 footer but usually end up just wading to catch bait. You stand or sit when throwing a net?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Fuquay fisherman what throwing technique do you use for throwing a net from a yak? I have been trying it with a 5 footer but usually end up just wading to catch bait. You stand or sit when throwing a net?
I'm anchored first. The pull of the anchor adds a slight bit of stability and every bit helps. Second my yak is built like a battleship (Ascend fs12T) so standing and throwing is no issue for me. There are a couple YouTube videos for throwing from a kayak that might help but it really comes down to how stable the yak is. The ascend is almost as stable as my 14 ft Jon boat was.

- James -

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
why would yall spend good money on boats with holes in em?? us canoe guys usually throw them out once we wear holes in em. is this a fashion statement kinda like holy jeans???

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have to question this whole thing. How big are your scupper holes?

I have this monster smallie here that almost made it out of my scupper hole.

And there are pluses to keeping the scupper holes open. While I was at the coast a few weeks ago I had a nice bait fish come up through my scupper hole under my seat. How did I know??? I felt it hitting my seat bottom.

mike

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I think we need some sort of tongue-in-cheek alert or something of the sort that can alert folks, (them who ain't nachal borned S. A.s), that a post just may be a little more, (or less) what first meets the eye.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.