NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I worked around the house this morning looking out of the window at the beautiful weather and decided I had to get out and fish! Ran to town, bought bait,gas,drinks, a few items for the tacklebox and snacks and headed home to load up. I haven't had the boat in the water in almost 2 weeks so I have learned to check the batteries etc. before I get to the ramp. Hooked up the motor flusher and turned the key......*SNAP! Key broke off in the ignition... OK no big deal, not the end of the world. Got out the old Barlow(pocket knife) stuck it in the switch beside my broken key and gave it a turn..... **CRUNCH!! and the switch falls apart and falls half in the control box and half in the floor.... &%*#$%@!!!
Keep in mind a 1977 control box with salt water exposure. So for the next 3 hrs it is WD40..tap, tap...twist twist SNAP!! So, I have several broken screws I had to drill out, finally got to the switch which is all in bits and cannot be repaired... OK I'll just run get one....tomorrrow???? OH NO!!! SUNDAY!!!!! ARRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!! No one is open on Sunday!!!
It is now 10:30pm. My bad back is screaming, I have picked metal shavings out of both hands, smashed a finger, cut a finger, I smell like...wellll...WD40 and something that really smells bad...LOL!!! My boat is broken until at least Monday afternoon.. Lord knows, if I can find a switch for this old of a boat. I am fully prepared to try to make something work!!
My bait now has to be frozen ( which I hate to do! because it won't be as fresh..)
And worst of all...THE WEATHER IS SO NICE!!! for the next few days!!
So tomorrow I guess I will move the anchors, ropes,fuel tanks, batteries,emergency box etc. over to the old boat I have up for sale and have to stay close by Washington in familiar waters ( and few fish so far in my experience) so I don't run a-ground because it doesn't have a depth finder..
I don't like afternoon fishing, I like to be at the ramp at O'dark thirty in the morning,but it beats not fishing at all..:)
Maybe I better keep the old boat too so I'll always have a spare..LOL!!!!
Just wanted to share my experience so we all can chuckle... and maybe even somebody will feel sorry for me...BOOHOOOHOOOO!!!!:( :eek: :D
*Anybody got an Evinrude ignition switch in their pocket??? LOL!!! I thought about hot wiring it, but if I loose track of what wire goes where it is a bear to sort out for the new switch...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ouch!..... you had a rough day my friend.... feel for you............. better keep that second boat ............ nothing wrong with having a spare.:eek:

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Come on McGuiver... duct tape, bubble gum, ball point pen and a marble... you could've got it goin! ;):) ha ha ha ha..
I did consider making a contact with a hook I could rotate to cross the start wires, but I'd hate to be stranded on the water!! If it were a car, it would be different!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
SUNDROP,SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A BAD DAY BETTER KEEP THE OTHER BOAT,AN I GUESS I BETTER LOOK A ROUND FOR A SPARE BOAT MYSELF. DO YOU KNOW WHAT BOAT STANDS FOR (BREAK OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND) CHRIS

·
Registered
871 Posts
Unfortunatel Drop..........just think though, you can go fish'n Monday (today).........hope your having fun out there!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Sundrop, there must be 10 million boats siting around in the Carolina's. Check with an inland outboard mechanic. People take ol Betsy in to find out if they can get a few last trips out of her and when they hear the estimate they usually donate her to the mechanic wanted or not.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well here's the latest. Went to 3 shops. No oldstyle switch. So I looked at the newer style, it has all the wires marked, only difference is it incorporates the choke switch into the key. It would be nice to start the motor without having to hold the choke switch seperately.. I decided, since I have a wiring diagram and a streak of backyard engineering, that I would buy the new style and make it work. Matched all of the wiring to each connector, converted my screw on wires to female slip ons, and lo and behold, by putting one choke wire on the terminal marked "C" and the other on Acc. IT WORKS! I'm sure I 'm not the first to do this, and I wonder why these service guys don't tell you these things can be done. Just bad business to me. When I was an auto tech I shared what I knew and when I started selling parts I would share "secrets" to help people solve their issues and I had repeat business because of it.
Anyway, so now I have the hole where the choke toggle used to go and I am adding an LED light in that hole to light up red if I leave the switch on...which I am bad about doing at the ramp. I did find alot of decay and corrosion on some wiring and a fusible link was almost burnt so I replaced all that as well. Now I have to rethread some holes due to broken bolts and put the control box back together.. I'm glad my service manual has pics!!..LOL!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.