1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are AJ's bad to eat?
I went offshore on the CarolinaPrinces
Great Boat! great crew!!!
I caught an AJ, but I saw an article in the Offshore Angler that said they have parasitic worms is that true?
ok thanks
Shakie

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The worms don't hurt you. They have them but they taste like amberjack to me. The absolute best fish salad I have ever eaten was made with smoked amberjack. To tell you the truth while you are catching the AJ's rest a spell by pulling on some grouper. That way you don't get wormy.;) Grouper are better in most folks opinion and snapper aren't bad either. Pretty hard to turn him loose now though.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I agree on the pull of an AJ. I would almost be willing to bet that the AJ is the fight'nest fish that you can hook on the bottom though as mentioned above I prefer Grouper for eating. Once you bring a 30# AJ in the boat you have to sit down for a spell or at least I do!

I like that Topsail, Reef Donkey.........never heard that before.

Mark

·
Registered
121 Posts
AJ's are pretty good eatin' and like was was mentioned before just cut around the worms. The first ever AJ that I caught was on Wellcraft Dave's old boat. That fish almost spooled me 3 times before getting gaffed and into the fish box. Reef donkey...man that kills me!!!:D

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Yeah I remember that one, it hit on the troll, pulled a little harder than a tuna or bonita ;)

I'm probably guessin they'd be good smoked on the grill. I'm not fond of amberjacks or King mackerels,, would much rather eat wahoo, tuna, mahi, snappah and my beloved Groupah's! :)

Amberjacks are known for their brutal fight, even the smaller ones pull like frieght trains!

Groupers get grubs in them as well,, just cut them out the best you can and grill up the fish meat.. no worries.

Matt and Chuck's amberjack pics:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yeah, I remember the days, in the mid 80's, when the AJ's would come inshore, and we could catch em off the pier. I caught several, back then, from 42 to 63 lbs. I miss the fight they gave, especially when they got to the pier, pointed that nose down, and tried to go under the pier. You'd better be ready.......sometimes you'd win, sometimes they'd win. but MAN! It was a blast catching those dudes. Now, with all the AR's offshore, you never see one. The last one caught off the Surf City Pier, was probably 15 years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.