NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a traveling fishing junkie I have read dozens if not a dozen more "informational" websites and message boards in the recent past. But I have to hand it to you folks here. This should be a model for others to emulate. Great job folks! I have been breezing through the site for the past few days and I have yet to see the typical bickering and use "jonny's baits" spam garbage. Rather refreshing I must say.

I am orginially from South Central Pa. and have fished quiet a few inland fisheries for bass, crappie, musky and the like. I have also had the pleasure of fishing areas like Havre De Grace Md for stripers (rockfish - region specific names make me nuts). But recently I have moved to Central Virginia and have begun to really fish tidal waters and have had a decent amount of success.

So here's my quandry.......The wife has talked me into spending a week down at Emerald Isle with her family (thank goodness for separate housing). I, unlike her and her family ,am not a huge beach person and come **** or high water I am spending a couple days casting some lines (of course she gave me her blessing to bring the boat, only cost me a couple of dinners to pursuade her...lol). So my question is...Can anyone suggestion and decent fisheries within about an hours drive from Emerald Isle?
The boat I am trailering down is a 19' bassboat with a 150hp. I would be grateful to anyone that can point me in the direction of some bass fishing or even some suggestions on reds. I have read about the Neuse, Tar and Pamlico areas would these be a good place to start, if so where can I find a ramp to launch from??????

HELP PLEASE......I don't want any sand where it shouldn't be.....PLEASE

Again, great site folks! Keep up the Great WORK!!!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Welcome aboard. I hope that you will continue to visit us here at NCangler. I don't know alot about the area but from what I have been told, you have plenty of good inshore fishing right in that area. Bass fishing should be pretty good in the White Oak river. Good Luck.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Welcome aboard! Backlash is right - there is some good salty fishing right there int he sound behind EI. It's been a long time since I fished there though. I think some of the other folks (like Speckhunter) can give you a better idea of some general areas to try and for a ramp.

I hope you catch 'em up!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Welcome aboard Pavabill!

As suggested above I would fish the backside of Emerald Isle and around the inlet. There are plenty of public boat launches traveling down 58 towards Swansboro. You can put in right there at the intercoastal water way too. Stop by Real Time Outdoors there in the town of Emerald Isle and they will point you in the right direction.

Just be careful when you go into Real Time as it has been the site of many vicious tackle monkey attacks.

Mark

Reactions: PAVABill

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Welcome to the site. If you give us the date you will be there it will help give us an idea of what should be happening with the fish and water temp.,. Our local freshwater expert will be up to his ears in customers today so I really don't expect to see him on here for a couple of days. Saltwater fishing in that area will be great for awhile. There is a Marina in Emerald Isle back toward the Bridge to Cedar Point. You can see it using Google Maps. that is all I know about that situation. The fishing in the area near the marina and the bridge should be pretty good. Normally the bridge is a Community Hole in the fall. (lots of folks know it is a good place to fish) There should be plenty of fish scattered thru the marshes between Emerald Isle and Bouge Inlet. You could do a lot worse than pound the shore lines, docks etc. with a gold bladed Strike King redfish magic spinner bait with a chartreuse tail.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys. When you say the sound right behind EI do you mean fishing between the isle and the main land or running up into West Bay? Like I said, I am more that willing to trailer the boat to where ever but I would like to keep the drive time to and within an hours drive. And I dont mind running anywhere in my boat provided it can be safely done in my boat. I have been in some nasty waters before but I would like to make this a vacation trip without a visit to the local E.R.

Sinker Man....Look at you pushing the Strike King product. Hopefully they are dropping a few pieces of P.O.P. (Promo of product) in your mailbox for you advertising skills. Everytime you/we mention their name or product we should have a deposit into our checking accnts. Just kidding - I think. I stopped buying "name brand" spinnerbaits and the like over 10yrs ago when I got tired of having to buy 2 and 3 lures just to make one that I wanted. And what started out as supplying myself with my own lure turned caotic a few years back when I owned my own tackle shop on a lake in Va. A customer saw one of my baits and asked where I bought it and why I didn't carry them. I told him that i make them for myself and it snowballed from there. I don't stock large tackle shops (i.e. BPS, Cabela's ect.) I only make truly custom spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, swim jig (Chatter bait style) with a top water version in testing stages, jigs, crappie spins and custom fishing rods. Anyway, if anyone wants more info you can email me direct ( [email protected]) I am not here to post or push my stuff here.

I am here in need of your local knowledge and guidance in finding a place to fish while the little woman burries her toes in the sand and get those tan lines I love so much.

What the deal with the waterway in and around the Camp Lejuene area? Is it restricted? What about the area up around Tar River and the Pamlico Sound? Good bass or reds in that area? Any bait or tackle suggestions?

Thanks again guys. I appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Almost forgot. We will be heading into town 9-8-07 through 9-16-07. Buy this time next week I hope to have a line in NC waters. Another question, do I need to purchase both salt and fresh water licenses for these areas?

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Almost forgot. We will be heading into town 9-8-07 through 9-16-07. Buy this time next week I hope to have a line in NC waters. Another question, do I need to purchase both salt and fresh water licenses for these areas?
You will need a saltwater license for the area behind Emerald Isle and all other waters managed by the DMF. The salt license will work in "joint" waters. You will need a fresh water license if you fish in waters managed solely by the WRC. you can find a map at the web site Sinkerman gave you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
...(Chatter bait style) with a top water version in testing stages, jigs,
PAVABill .. welcome aboard .. I'm new to the site as well .. you wont find a nicer group ..
Sorry I can't help you with an advisery .. not familuar w/ the area .. but it sounds like your in good hands .. looking forward to a favorable report ..

now on the other hand, if your looking for people to test your top water .. ;)

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
PAVABILL, YOU WILL BE 1 TO 1.5 HRS FROM TAR AND THE PAMLICO RIVERS IN LITTLE WASHINGTON GOOD BASS FISHING, AND SOME STRIPERS NOW MOVING INTO PAMLICO RIVER. THERE IS ALSO NEW BERN NC 45 MINS. FROM EI , THIS IS THE NEUSE RIVER, AROUND THE THE BIG BRIDGES IN EARLY AM THERE WILL BE STRIPERS , DOWN THE NEUSE GOOD BASS FISHING, UP THE NEUSE THERE WILL BE REDS, AND SPEC. HOPES THIS HELPS . CHRIS

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. I do appreciate the info. I will definitely post a report when I get back and hopefully there will be a few pictures to show as well.

Hisheirs: PIcture this......a chatter bait style topwater with the sound and gurggle of an old jitterbug...Absolutely awesome so far on the testing on local ponds, lakes and rivers. Especially on a flat calm 5-6am.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Pava, Check out the bait called Redfish Magic. If you come up with something along those lines that is durable to withstand the beating of a big Redfish... I'll pay good money for one!!!
Welcome!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Pavabill, the only time you'll get beat up or cursed at on this site is if you dont share the info on a great tackle monkey deal!!! Most of the bickerin here is "weather related" ;)

Welcome on!

·
Registered
99 Posts
as an avid topwater guy .. looking forward to getting my hands on anything that catches fish .. something new is often good .. for me and the fish .. :)
if you'd like some independant testing .. let me know ..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.