NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an amazing day on the Roanoke River today. We caught stripers from 10" to 32". You read that right, 32 INCHES!!! Other notables were a 24", 25", and a 27.5". In total we caught 36 stripers today. I've been saying these last trips were going to be my last to the Roanoke but when the fishing is this good, why go anywhere else. I'll be back at them again tomorrow. Fish were caught using herring once again purchased at the Roanoke Sportsman. I've posted this a lot but seriously, if you haven't made it out to this amazing fishery, you are missing out.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
Great job. Sure do wish I had some stripers a little closer to home they would be a welcome change of pace. I have some fond memories of watching a shad jump out of the water frantically right before the entire area around him exploding with stripers.

·
Registered
161 Posts
We were using live shad that we bought there in Weldon on a bottom rig. Didn't really see anyone that seemed to be "on fire" today but saw people catching a few here and there. Thanks for the article, jigs might help. Maybe someone else will post and maybe they had better luck today. I'm still a rookie at the rockfish thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Henchman, You might want to try cutting the live shad up. The blood coming from cut shad will help draw rock to the bait. I usually cut them straight across behind the head so they look like rings about 1/2 inch wide. Carolina rigged with a 2 ounce sinker. Works for me.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Hate to admit this but my buddy and I were skunked there on Sat. We were using flies and just couldn't seem to keep them down with the current. Even with full sinking line and a little T14. Guys with minners were trying it up here and there. I didn't see fish being caught all over.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I talked with someone else that had a slow day sunday also. He said it finally picked up around sundown.

As as for the fish not liking boat traffic...I think if you lined all of them up bow to stern the last one would be in the ocean on Sunday.

Going to have to try the artificials harder also.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Kev -

I had my flyrod w/ me Saturday, but was having such a slow morning I never broke it out. The water was REALLY fast and REALLY muddy down where we were, but I'm tempted to get back up there and give it a shot with the fly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.