NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang
How much and which type of anchor do I need for Wake County lakes? I saw a cute little 1.7KG folding-claw anchor at GOPCO for only $12, while the least WallyWorld could offer me was a mushroom that looks twice the size and at least three times the weight for like $16 or something. It seems to me that the man-made lake bottoms around here ought to provide plenty for a small claw anchor to hold on to...

Or I could grab some PVC and copper tubing and make the one someone described last year... I've got plenty of sand to weight it down before I seal it up...

Lefty

·
Registered
574 Posts
Lefty,

I'll let the yakkers give you the real scoop, but I plan on taking the boy and the canoe to Jordan soon. After fishing from the shore, I've decided I'm going with a mushroom anchor. There's way too much stuff on the bottom for claw or grapple type anchors. It maybe a different story in a real boat ;) , cause you have some purchase to yank on the anchor line. In a yak or canoe, I'd think that would be a problem.

2 suggestions if you use a claw/grapple or danforth type anchor:
1. Put a couple,3 feet of 1" anchor chain on. This will help you keep the shank laying flat on the bottom and the hooks in the sand, mud or gravel.
2. Anchor rope, for a 3-5 pound anchor, 1/4" line should be plenty strong enough, but you need to stick to at least a 3:1 ratio (Length: Depth) for the amount of line out. In other words 10 feet of water equals 30 feet of anchor line (at least). Otherwise the drift or current will lift the anchor shank and dislodge the hooks. You put the anchor out for a reason, you don't want to waste time fighting for a good bite with the hook unless it's Mustad :).

Hey I did learn something in the Navy!:D Not really, those tidbits are thanks to Dad. Hope that helps Lefty.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One idea I was gonna try to adopt was to attach the chain to the base of the anchor, and add a breakaway at the top. So if the anchor hangs up, I can paddle upstream and yank the breakaway loose, now I'm pulling on the bottom of the anchor instead of the top. (Or add a second floating line to the base, or something...)

·
Registered
884 Posts
I have a 1.5lbs claw and it works fine in mud. On other harder surfaces and sand it just bounces along the bottom. I tied some heavy mono to the end of it and two 8 ounce surf sinkers to the line to create some drag. It held then.

I've moved up to the 3lbs claw and found it stops me dead by itself in anything. I've seen the mushroom style ones but they are a little bulkier than what I'd like to carry. The claw folds up and fits into its own little bag.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hey

Cinder blocks work great, just get some nylon rope and....JUST KIDDING. I use a claw, 3lb. As long as its not rough, it works, but at times it doesn't. Thats when I decide to "troll" LOL. I like the claw, just for compact sake. I actually have a 10lb mushroom, I do use on occassion if I know its going to really windy..etc. but it really is a pain, takes up a lot room..etc. The mushroom was what I used when I had an Old Town Canoe...etc I have an eyelet at the nose of my boat, I run a 1/4 inch nylon rope from there to the cockpit and have a little T thingie to tie it on.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I noticed on the folding claw anchor I looked at that it had a retaining ring that could hold the claws closed. Do the claws "lock" open when you deploy it? Or do you want them to flap freely, does that help them get a grip?
Thanx

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Lefty, if you decide to use the claw, rigging it to pull up from the bottom if you get stuck is a good move. You could use a ring made from copper wire to go thru the eye and around the line. I am guessing that #8 bare copper wire would provide about the right amount of hold. Just bend it around the eye ring of the anchor make three twists so that it doesn't get lost and then bend a small circle around the anchor rope with the tag ends butting together. You might have to experiement to get it right but it is better than losing an anchor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.