NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be on a multi family trip to Topsail here pretty soon and could use some advise for anchoring a canopy on the beach. I have an old LL bean canopy that comes with typical plastic spikes but I'm concerned they may not hold in all day beach wind. I have looked online and ran across those "ToughStakes" but 8 of them would get pricey. Could I improve on the normal steaks buy cutting a few large sections of thick foodservice cutting board, attaching paracord, and burying them. That would be a cheap DIY. Any suggestions? I'll be surf fishing all day and I want my shelter to hold its ground!

Thanks

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Milk jugs full of water, or buckets with sand or water to tie off to.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
couple quaker oats containers and some eye bolts and sac-crete. Mix the sac-crete, pour into oats containers, sink eye bolts into the mix, let it set up. Make four of them and use them to anchor anything you need to keep in place. They are really good for this and take up far less space than buckets and what not.

Gene - Red > < - Asheboro

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
like some one said water buckets, i use a canopy at work on some saturdays to grill out(demo grills) under and it is sitting on a parking lot..i use 5 gal buckets with water ......

Reactions: Fish_Fiend

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Nice thing with using sand or water is you don't have to lug all that weight around, fill it on the spot. You can even use cheap pillow cases and make sand bags.

Reactions: Fish_Fiend

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
Dang, you aint had a beach trip unless you have to chase something down the beach.
Do girls count? Got my fill of that in college days.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The screw in pet stakes work pretty well as long as the sand is firm. In really soft sand it's hard to get them deep enough to bite. It won't work for you on Topsail, but when I've used a canopy at Hatteras I've always tied it off to my truck on 2 corners and then tied the other 2 to some spare rod holders.

Some heavy duty reusable grocery bags work well too. They're lightweight and easy to carry to the beach, and once you get there just fill them with sand and tie off to the handles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am with Mic. Spiral pet stakes. 5G buckets filled with sand or water also work good.

The issue I have with disposable deadmans is a lot of people cut and run. Anyone that sees that sort of behavior is likely to think it is ok, so they copy it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Plastic food lion or your favorite store bags filled with sand and hung from the top on the corners or sand bags from your local Army surplus store is what i use. OR dig a hole and tie off corners to a gutter spike buried in the hole spiked horizontal/sideways in the sand

G

·
I don't like it. Plastic bags are pollution on most beaches, some even ban them, and all those plastic bags people leave on the beach kills sea turtles who think they are edible when they end up in the water.

I walk down the beach every week and see all kinds of crap people have left ~ trash.

Personally I think they should install gates and you walk thru with nothing but your clothes to access the beach after passing a security guard. The amount of crap people leave all over the beach is disgusting. I know that's extreme, but so it plastic bottles and cigarette buts and candy bar wrappers and plastic bags and beer bottles and potato chip bags and all the other **** I have to walk thru to enjoy the beach that I pay taxes on to keep clean.

From Memorial Day to Labor Day, it;s a constant stream of tourist who come here and leave their trash. I pay taxes on my boat, on my cargo trailer, on my house, on my land, on my car, on my truck and on my motorcycle to clean up behing people who want to leave plastiv bags all over MY beach. They snatch up their crap and fly back to Raleigh and don't worry about who has to clean it all up. But you can betcha *** they will be *****ing if they come back next month and find trash they left all over the beach.

I participate in a "beach cleanup" program. We pick up PICKUP TRUCK LOADS of crap people have left on the beach.
Go buy a damned sand screw if you need a tent stake and take it home with you when you leave.

Thanks for letting me rant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I am going with 1 gallon buckets. I found some from HD that are $9 for a 3 pack. My canopy needs 8 stakes so I will have one leftover for bait! The buckets will be easy to 'pack in and pack out' It's not the typical 'easy up'. I have an old discontinued canopy from LL Bean that is more like a tent fly. If it works out it will help get the inlaws out of the rental for awhile, as well as provide a rest area for me while I fish all week.

We work hard and look forward to our beach trips to Topsail (this will be our sixth year), and we love how quiet/clean it is. Two years ago we had a sea turtle set up a nest right next to our rental. I will not be leaving any 'stuff' behind and we always carry out trash that we see. I think its great that the locals are caring/vigilant about those beaches!

Now if I can just catch a few keeper flounder so I don't have to drive to Sneads Ferry and buy flounder like I do every year! haha

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.