NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I spent all week talking my buddy into going bass fishing at Sutton Lake. He said it wouldn't be that good because the water is so cold so I explain to him how te plant keeps the water nice and warm year round. Well...launched the boat and depth finder reads 50 degree water and just to make sure I put my hand in and it was correct. So now we have to figure out how to fish cold water with little gear to do so. Spent about two hours rolling around with only a snapped off jerkbait I lost on the hook set.

So we decide to go to the discharge thinking it should be the warmest area. Upon arrival we see some bass busting on a school of bait. JACKPOT! I snag a little guy and then lose a decent one as another boat rolls up. He immediately pulls a bass out on his first cast. He asked "did you guys catch them all?" I said, "no but it looks like you're about to." And he replies, "yeah we're about to put a hurtin on them." He and his partner proceed to catch what looked like every bass in the lake right next to us as we just watch in amazement because we couldn't buy a bite now. They even begin to feel sorry for us and give us advice on what to throw at them but I was ill prepared and didn't have what I needed. They were very helpful though and very knowledgable and gave me some ideas for next time I head out.

The point I made to my buddy is that is the difference between an angler and a fisherman. A fisherman doesn't quite possess what he or she needs to catch fish no matter what. I'm trying but not near that level yet. To be able to go anywhere and know how to catch fish that day no matter the conditions. I do appreciate when people like the guys who embarrassed me do try to reach out and help others like myself and I feel that's the way to keep this sport going into the future. He also said that the plant is no longer burning coal and that is why the water isn't warm in the winter anymore. See yall out there.

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
Belews went cold as well recently, but supposedly it's from a busted part they needed replaced. Glad you guys got to connect with a least a couple fish. For the schooling fish that like I've done well with twitch baits worked medium speed with an erratic retrieve; hard baits have been doing better for me than flukes lately. The key, at least at Belews, is to also match the hatch with regards to size of the bait. For example, I'll catch more fish on a Xrap XR8 than I will and XR10 in the same color. The shad out there are small and the smaller profile really seems to be the ticket. For cold fish that aren't schooling-and-chasing, Carolina rig, a jig, and especially a suspending twitch bait that gets down to about 6 feet have done well.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I would say that angler/fisherman are interchangeable terms. I been fishing since I was five, and have become somewhat proficient at it, and just say I am just a fisherman. So it's really not a division of skill, in my opinion. You keep working at it, read all you can on techniques, and more importantly, stay on site and ask these guys for tips. Most are glad to oblige you'll find. Get a few jerk/twitch baits, like the Lucky Craft Pointer or Stacee, Rapala's X Rap, Smithwick Rattlin' Rogue. Caught lots of cold water fish on these baits. And not one of those bass asked me if I was an angler or a fisherman!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm lucky enuff to get to fish 2-300 days each yr. don't go with preconcieved notions is the best advice I can give ya. I got 3 boxes of jerk baits. I keep all in the boat this time of yr, but one of them stays in the boat all yr. the same with top water, I got 3 boxes of them but one is always in the boat. I caught 46 LMB in a similar scenario one time on a 1/4 oz chrome Lil George, just swmmin it fast enuff to keep it off bottom. Got 28 one mornin fishin a Chartruese #8 Shad Rap under very similar conditions. One of my buddies an I came under the 57 bridge at Hyco one New Yrs morn an they were chasin shad there. we caught 38 LMB up to 5 lbs an 17 big White Bass up to 3 lbs throwin a 3/4 oz Hopkins to them. Be prepared! I can't remeber the last time I pulled up on fish chasin like that an not been able to figure them out! I'm not tryin to brag, just wantin you to know the knowledge is there for the learnin! Its like Mr. Condrey says, read all ya can, an ask about situations like this that ya don't figure out. I hope our advice helps ya out!

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Last November I was fishing with a buddy at Badin Lake. We pulled into one cut that was just packed with shad and bass were busting them. I caught one there in the morning on a crankbait and we moved on. We didnt see much anywhere else so we went back later, fish were still busting. We threw everything we could think of and watched 5 or 6 other boats come in and do everything but throw a cast net over them, nobody could catch those fish.

Another time I was on some fish at Harris and invited a buddy to join me. I was getting bit on a fishhead spin with a fluke fishing it through schools of shad. Everytime I would catch a fish id ask him if he wanted one to use, his reply was "nah... I got something just like it". He threw everything he had and only caught one crappie, I probably caught about 15. Sometimes something subtle can be the difference between getting bit and not. Plenty of occasions where 2 guys in the same boat are doing pretty much the same thing and one outfishes the other by a great margin.

Like fishdoctor says, dont be affraid to think outside the box and try something off the wall. I have gone from the outhouse to the penthouse more than once on a whim that goes against conventional wisdom in every way. Every time I have learned another trick that I can confidently apply another time. When in doubt fish your strengths and go with your gut feeling.

·
Registered
299 Posts
For the true definition of "angler", read the Izzac Walton classic "The Compleat Angler", written in the 1600s in England. It's written in Shakesperean English so gets a little tedious, what with page-long paragraphs, but will explain why of all outdoor sports, angling is paramount and why those of us who angle for fishes are pretty good guys. He also explains when some of the techniques that we think are fairly new really came about.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I call myself a fisherman since I spend almost all my time fishing from the banks and generally carry a variety of baits to try on any given day. Yesterday the water was muddy tried a crank no luck and got the only bites of the day in a shallow cove on a senko, I have stood next to someone throwing exact same bait as me and I have lander fish and they didn't get a bite or vice versa. Getting the bite sometimes is luck getting the landing is the skill.

Reactions: jerry condrey

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Yall like to make simple stuff complicated. I don't care what you call me and I certainly don't walk around calling myself anything. I just go fishing......my way.
I wasn't trying to complicate for once; more of a simplification. There is a difference in what the words mean and it isn't esoteric or ethereal. Angler is just more specific about the methods a fisherman employs, nothing more to it than that. When I am asked about hobbies, I say I fish. Angle as a verb is getting archaic.

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
I think the original poster was trying to point out a concept or an idea according to how he sees it, rather than specify a definition. Yes, the two words are in most uses synonyms, angling being more specific to rod and line (how the word came be, if I'm not mistaken), but the original poster apparently sees more associated connotation than what the word itself literally means.

I got the idea, I feel no need to get hung up on it (no pun intended). :D

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I wasn't trying to complicate for once; more of a simplification. There is a difference in what the words mean and it isn't esoteric or ethereal. Angler is just more specific about the methods a fisherman employs, nothing more to it than that. When I am asked about hobbies, I say I fish. Angle as a verb is getting archaic.
I don't know who needs a beer worse. Me or you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I didn't mean to get too far into the definitions of the words. Just kind of the way I see it in my head. I actually probably should have titled the post, "people who know what their doing while fishing vs. people who don't." I would definitely consider myself the people who don't on most days I'm out fishing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.