NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp that time has come again and has passed.. Another great time fishin down south with friends, this time out of Orange Beach Alabama. What a father's day weekend to cherish as well as I got to see my youngin' reel in his first "real big" fish!! :) It was a pleasure gaffin it and watchin his reaction (literally his jaw drop'd!!.. ha ha hah aha...)

Day one put us in unloading, riggin, and gettin supplies for our 2 day trip out to the Ram Powell rig 110 miles south of Perdido Pass out of Orange Beach

This was my son's first offshore big fish trip and he was pretty excited, especially once he saw the boat we were to spend alot of time on. Again, I had my bud Todd with his son Chuck, Big Rick, little Rick and their grandson/nephew Garret, and Wayne.
On our buddy boat was John, Doc and for his first outting with us we had Tuck come out for this years trip as well.

We left Friday morning and steam'd straight on out to the Ram Powell rig, Beer Can, and a couple others.

As we approached the rig, Rick's slip neighbor was there trolling around and had said they were boating mahi. We dropped lines roughly at 8 p.m. on a setting sun.
After two passes around the rig.... GGZzzzzzz and out pop'd the inside port outrigger line.. Chuck was the first one up and in the chair while little Rick, Todd and I clear'd lines.. after two nice leaps, Chuck brought to the boat a 50 inch bull dorado! The pressure was now off and we could all relax and have fun fishin as the first one was in the boat! ;)

Weather had picked up a bit and the sea's were 6's with occasional 8's thrown in the sun had just gone down by this time and now we were fishin by the lights of the oil rig in a pitch black sea. The winds wouldn't stop as the night went on, if anything they picked up a bit, so we knew it'd be a bumpy night.

As we had lines out, there seem'd to be a lull while we watched the other boat hook up on fish... then out of the dark,, Bzzzzzzz,,,, GGGzZzzzz,, FFFFzzzz at once 3 lines went off! A triple was under way! :eek:

My boy was up on the helm station, so I called him to the chair, little Rick had a fish on to starboard and Todd had one to port. So I sat Levi down, placed the rod in the gimbal and told him to crank away (I had to leave him on his own!! with Chuck holding on to him), Rick had brought his to the boat, so I gaffed it and slung it over the gunnel and into the box,, then I heard my boy sayin "Dadda, dadda I got the fish", I look back and the wind on leader is around the reel and I'll be dang if he didnt crank in a 50 inch mahi to the transom on his own!! I reached over with the gaff and stuck it and swept it onto the deck. Rick had the box open and after a brief struggle we got it in the box. After a quick hug and congrat's to my boy, I went over to help out with Todd's fish. This mahi went flat nuts and I just couldnt get a good angle on it to stick it, then it jump'd and hit the stern and almost went in the boat, but did a flip flap thing on the swim platform on the rear of the boat and broke free..... Didnt even get a chance to stick it with the gaff.

So after washing the deck and taking a breather... we all Whooo who'd and high 5's went around. Washed the deck down and reset more baits. By this time we were all sweatin pretty good and almost welcomed the break to regain composure! ;)

Once baits were back in, two more trips around the rig and GGGGGzzzzzzzz the port short line went off, I happend to be next to it so I pick'd it up and set the hook, I called for my boy, but he'd gone down into the cabin to get something to drink,, So I fought the fish. After a short tuggin match.. I brought the blackfin tuna to the gaff. Todd stuck it and into the box it went.

At this point, my boy was coming out of the cabin to check out the action and for some reason he forgot to latch the cabin sliding door and the rolling of the boat caused the cabin door to slam shut on his wrist! :eek::( Big Rick saw it happen and yell'd to me Levi had probably broke his arm. Panick'd I scooped him up and took him into the cabin and we busted out the first aid kit and a ice pack and I checked him over. After I settled him down, we checked him out some more and he could move his hand/wrist and fingers... so we decided to see if his arm would start to swell. He was able to push down with all fingers.. so the call was made to not head back in at that moment, but I closely monitored him for the next half hour.

With all the excitement and the injury.. Levi started dry heaving and said he felt sick... he dry heaved 2 times, and after being in that rolling cabin with him... I got sick!! :eek: All I heard from Levi was "Oh my gosh" when I unloaded into the sink! :eek:
So we ended up sleepin on the front berth for about an hour to rest. After we awoke, Levi said his arm didnt hurt, it only had a slight bruise and scrape where the door hit him and it wasnt swollen and he was using it like nothing ever happend...... Whoo... really dodged a bullet but what a relief he was ok.

So I fixed dinner (Microwave pizza) for the boy and went back up on deck to the action. When I got up there, Wayne was in the chair with something big on. So I grab the video camera and start recording. After about 5 minutes, Todd gaffed the biggest fish of the night and swung it over the stern. Another large mahi.

As the sea's got bumpier, the kid's went down in to the cabin to watch movies, eat and get some sleep, and good thing Chuck stayed on deck as the last fish of the night hit one of the outriggers and Todd grab'd it and gave it to Chuck who was waiting in the chair. This time to the gaff, another blackfin tuna! (Chuck's first tuna) :D

Now it's late 11 pm. and the capt. wanted to get a drift going for the night for sword fish. So all the lines were swapped out and rig'd to sword fish (Large squid and lite sticks).

Nothing struck on the overnight drift... :mad: then the gameplan since the sun was coming up was to rig and troll for the early morning tuna bite. When rigging up and powering the boat back up, the Telematic's went out on the port steering (dreaded blinking lights!!) :eek: So without being able to trouble shoot the steering or finding a fix for the fly by wire stuff... decision was made to head it on back to the hill.

So we set out some high speed lines to troll for wahoo while making the 19 mile an hour run from 120 miles out back to Perdido pass.

Long story short... it was a long ride and we got back in somewhere around 3 p.m or so. Back on the hill, time came to clean fish, the boat, remove our gear and garbage which took 3 hours or so.. once done and fillets on ice, we all went out for a well earned dinner.

Since the boat was down we called the trip short by a day, and got to spend some time relaxing at the condo and enjoying some poolside fun. Did a little souvenier shopping and hung out BS'n with our fishn buds. Then packed it up and headed for home.

Our buddy boat did real well and for them on the overnight, it was rough, but they managed nice amberjack, yellow fin tuna, some really nice red snappers and some king mac's. The 60 lb yella fin was caught on a spinning outfit! :D, It was Tuck's first tuna and after about 2 hours and 5 gallons of sweat after bein spooled 2x's by it, managed to get it to gaff on a 20 lb class spinning gear!! (Way to go Tuck!!)

We had a awsome time, though we didnt catch alot of fish, all our fish were big. We still managed enough meat to fill 3 large coolers and everyone took home enough fish to last till December! ;)

Lastly,, I'd post pix.. I had taken over 500+ digital pix, but my son lost my camera in the parking garage at the condo. Not 45 minutes later I went to look for it and someone had already picked it up. It was gone... :(:mad::confused: I left a description of it and reported it to the management front desk, the front gate shack,, and left phone #'s and room #'s, but after two days no calls and no-one turned it in... so all our pix I took are gone. As soon as I get the other guys to email me their pix,, I'll post them up here for y'all.

So there it is.. another great time with friends, weather wasnt perfect, but wasnt that bad neither. We had one injury luckily that wasnt serious and lost a camera, boat had a minor malfunction, and the best part was that Chuck got his first tuna and my boy caught one heck of a mahi for his first sportfish!! We're lookin forward to doin it again next year for sure!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dave,

That sounds like a fishing trip you will always remember especilly your son and
his first big fish.I bet you were as proud of him catching that big bull dolphin as
he was catching it.Their nothing like fishing with your kids,family,and friends.It
makes it all the better.Great report from down south.

Charlie

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time with Levi even with the shortened fishing trip. Can't beat watching your son pull in his first sport fish nor the time spent with him.

Sorry to hear about your camera - it's a shame folks don't always "return" lost items these days.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Great reading Dave,
It's so nice to hear about father-son times together. Something I long for now that my son is grown and doing his own thing. I miss those years we had when he was younger. Congrats. on the nice fish and welcome home.
Gery

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
More good memories made even though you don't have all the pics. I gotta ask about that name on the back of the boat. What's the deal there? Something tells me I need to be nosey! High speed trolling may have been the first hint.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Al, Rick had told me one time and I believe something to do with King Fishing and some high speed type trolling. I'll ask him again as I really dont know, but it has something to do with fishin.

Rick said I have first dib's on the boat when he sells it... if I hit the lotto and buy it... I'd rename it "No Mo $$" :D

Note- Just got off the phone with Rick and he said that Halcyone is a Bird on the English KingFisher trail, so it's a European name for the bird. Drop the E at the end and it signifies male, the E on the end signifies the female (in the traditional naming of the vessel after a woman/female).

·
Registered
374 Posts
Way to go Dave..........I know what a thrill it it to have the littluns catching those big fish. You said something in another post, about Smoked Kings at PD's place? LOL I think the grill should be fired up, and few slabs of those Mahi thrown on, at WD's place! LOL
Congrats on a great day on the water,

Mark

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanx Mark, and without a doubt was a thrill for the boy and me.

Hmmm.. you sayin we need to do a fish fry?? :) I usually have a get together 4th of July weekend fish cookout... I'd be happy to part with mahi steaks,,, but NOONE gets my tuna or groupah! :D ha ha ha haha...

Hey, if anyone is interested,, I know the 4th this year isnt on a weekend,, but probably the saturday before, any of ya are welcome over to the house for some fish and fun... We do the pool stuff and my good buds and fishn buds bring their families and we throw shoes, swim, and pretty much let the kids run around while talking trash about fishin over the grill.

I think the fish this year is actually grouper, snappers, king mac steaks and of course some mahi all butter'd up on the grill.. ;)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nope Mark, cant say that I've had those specific seasonings. I used to blacken grouper fillets in the house, but the wife couldnt stand the smoke it kicks off in the kitchen as I like a super hot cast iron 13 inch skillet when blackening groupah fillets

I use dry rubs for the grilled stuff. A orange peel and lime concoction (that I used on the wahoo steaks for the NCAngler burger burn Click here for BBq photos)

and my wife and kids like just the plain ol lemon pepper. I use Old bay on snapper and grouper fillets as well with fresh squeezed lemon over the top or lime. For king mac, I'll smoke them steaks over hickory. I love garlic on mahi as it has a natural lemony type flavor to it, so I'll pan broil in butter and garlic chunck mahi in a tin foil cocoon and place on the grill... but hey! I'm open to different tastes!! Bring over some king steaks and let's grill up some fish! :)

Love blackend fish... great stuff! :)

You'll have to talk to Levi though about his "share" of the fish.... :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I can't imagine the look on Levi's face when he boated his mahi. He's a good kid and will grow up to be a fishin' machine! Mahi and yellow fin are my top favorites for eatin' by far, so when I see any of those 2 in pics or on the end of a line then I instantly start to get hungry ;) I hope you will keep me updated when you get down to Moody and fill me in on all of the fishin' w/Ricky and Tums.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.