NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be a nice guy.... maybe good karma will come my way, or maybe I'll spend less time in purgatory.... or something.

Anyway, my ex (and my kids, which is why I'm involved) has my old pontoon boat. And the trailer needs work.

The runners (2 for each pontoon, 24' long) need replaced. And recarpeted. And the old steel bolts need to be replaced with stainless so it doesn't rust out again.

Let me tell you what I think the steps are.... And someone more experienced can tell me where I go wrong.

- Buy wood.... 8 12' treated 2x4"s
- Buy stainless steel bolts, nuts, and washers.... Ebay should be cheaper than Lowe's for this quantity.
- Buy Indoor/outdoor carpet. 12' wide roll, 1' per runner... Need 8 linear feet of carpet?
- Float boat off trailer....it can sit at anchor in a private cove.... My son can kayak or swim out to it to bring it home.
- Remove existing boards, cutting off bolts as needed. (2 hours?) tools: Prybar, hammer, sledge, cold chisel. I don't own a sawzall and I don't think a dremel will help much.
- put new boards on with new stainless steel bolts/nuts/washers - 1 hour per rail? 4 hours total
- Put carpet on rails. Glue (may do this day 2....)... figure 1 hour per rail? 4 hours total

That sound right?

What am I missing? What will take more time for a stooge like me to do.

THanks for the suggestions...

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
It would probably be easier to apply your carpet before you mount the boards I would think.

I am not sure if treated lumber would be a good choice for an aluminum boat hull to sit on. About 10 years ago the government mandated lumber companys stop using CCA (arsenic) to treat lumber and went to ACQ (Alkaline Copper Quat). In the construction industry it became mandatory to use galvinized or stainless fasteners and hardware with the ACQ lumber as the copper would react with and weaken other metals. Over time you might get the same effect on those aluminum pontoons.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I've done exactly what you are talking about doing to a 24' pontoon I owned. I changed the brackets though so I could go with a 2x6. I used 3/8" stainless carriage bolts.

As far as wrapping carpet you don't have to cover the whole piece of timber. The top side and sides are good enough.
If I use carpet on bunks I use the quality indoor outdoor carpet. It's thicker and more durable. You can usually find remnant rolls at Lowes.

Nothing goes as planned on these projects I'd plan a minimum of a day.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2x6's....check.

Shouldn't the carpet ease the treated lumber on aluminum....Will research a bit.

Ebay seems to be even cheaper than Fastenal.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
No worries if you have carpet between the lumber and the aluminum.
Yea, I'm not a great big Ebayer. I do buy a lot through Amazon though.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Should be fairlt sraigtforward. Get your bunks and carpet, put carpet on them a day or two before. That will cut down on some of the actual repair time. I would probably go with the 2X6 as well, depending on how they are mounted. Good luck.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
A key point to dealing with rusty bolts is having an Impact wrench. Your goal is to either get it loose or snap it off so you can remove it. With hand tools this can be tough to impossible. Not having an air compressor ( a reasonably big one capable of 90psi or more) makes this hard but this electric Impact is a beast. I have one, and can snap off a crusty bolt in a heartbeat. They are handy tools to have around for changing tires etc as well. Harbor freight has sales coupons often in many magazines and the person at the register will often give you 10% off just for asking "if" something has a coupon available.
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-electric-impact-wrench-68099.html

A high speed cut off tool is also very handy for dealing with rusty bolts. http://www.harborfreight.com/120-volt-3-in-high-speed-cut-off-tool-60415.html

As well as a Reciprocating Saw ( many call it a Sawzall ) . http://www.harborfreight.com/6-amp-reciprocating-saw-with-rotating-handle-65570.html

If you have no compressed air and no cutting torches these are key tools to working on trailer bolts.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Brent.... But that's a lot more than I can afford. If I had to pick only one of those, which should it be?

My single power tool these days is a drill. I don't have the place to store any tools, I'm lucky I can store fishing rods and camping gear in my guest closet and under the bed. For sure no cutting torches or compressed air :)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Yep a side grinder can be used to do a lot of things. You can grind off the heads of the bolts or cut through the bolt itself depending on what you can reach. a 4.5 inch is plenty for anything you will be doing. For that project this is all you need to buy. Hand tools will suffice for the rest.
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in-angle-grinder-60625.html

Reactions: biglenr

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks....

What kind of disc should I buy with that? Never used one of these tools. Safety glasses required, I would assume?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Reactions: biglenr

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks....

Probably be doing this in 3 weeks.... Will start picking up parts now.

Will post before & after pics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts