NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Met up with fellow NCangler Tarheelfishing88 at a local lake. I had arrived about 15 minutes earlier and got a 2 pounder on a buzz bait. The topwater at this lake has slowed a bit since it got hot again. When he arrived he was trying a walk the dog lure and I was trying a heddon spook. No luck on either of those.

I switched to buzzbait and not even a blow up in some of the usual spots. Finally we moved to another area of the lake and I was still determined to use the buzz bait and he switched to a worm. First cast early in retrieve the buzz just disappears under and is running out toward the deeper end of the lake. From the bend and drag reeling out figure 6+. I thought I had it for sure but I was keeping rod low and it was staying DEEP. After a little fight next thing I know all I have is slack and darn it it was off.

A few casts later THF88 lands into a nice 2+ on the worm on a light action rod. I continue around another bend and have a decent blow up on the buzz bait. Grab my plastic rod since I can see this fish working an area like mad and toss in speed craw. Four casts in a row slam it grabs it but never hangs on. Finally I am determined to get this fish so throw the buzz again no luck and finally put on a senko. First cast it bumps the line and I pull up the worm a tad next thing I know off to the races and a nice 2 pounder is landed.

I keep working the senko and get another 2.5 that grabbed it deep on the drop and took off for a nice aerial display.

Meanwhile in same spot that I got the first one another one is making a bunch of ruckus. TFH88 heads on over and tosses a worm. I think on four successive casts the fish grabs it, runs with it a little or drops it each time. He finally gave up on that one.

It was getting about 9 and the sun was getting up hot I tried a buzz one more time and aswim bait no luck. THF88 stayed with his topwater and worm and than gave up as well since once the sun came up big all surface action subsided and the bite died.

I got 3 nice fish but missing that biggie is going to haunt me!

·
Registered
164 Posts
It's just a matter of time till one of us is going to land an 8+ in there. There's a couple big ones that hang out in that corner. I've never seen a smaller fish play with a bait like that one did. It was both comical and frustrating. I'm glad it wasn't a big one. I'll probably try to go there again for a couple of hours one evening this week if you'd care to join.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
It's just a matter of time till one of us is going to land an 8+ in there. There's a couple big ones that hang out in that corner. I've never seen a smaller fish play with a bait like that one did. It was both comical and frustrating. I'm glad it wasn't a big one. I'll probably try to go there again for a couple of hours one evening this week if you'd care to join.
Ever tried a floating worm in that pond? Last time I fished a pond, wore 'em out on them.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't tried a floating worm yet, but I may have to look that one up. Thanks for the suggestion!
Same here but if jerry recommends them it's worth a try. Will have to do so e research on presentation of floating worm. With this weather forecast for upcoming days everything will be floating. I am tired of this rain!

Reactions: dbeam

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
So a trick worm t rigged no weight classifies as a floating worm????
That's what I use...white if the water is fairly clear or yellow if it is dark water. If I am going to a pond, that's pretty much all I take for bass.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
So a trick worm t rigged no weight classifies as a floating worm????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. Trick worms stay on the surface if the hook isn't too heavy. I have best luck with a slow twitching retrieve, like working a fluke but slower. Jerry uses bubble gum color or methiolate at City Lake, when I have thrown them I typically use white. I don't use them much in stained water, I have less faith in them with low water clarity due to visibility.

If weightless Texas rig doesn't get hit, try switching to wacky rigged and as Jerry quoted DCAngler as saying, "Shake it at 'em"

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ive lost a couple pigs in aforementioned pond, try the double fluke rig we talked about earlier

lost myself a monster tonight ;[ first bass to break me off since I was about 9 years old...
I will have to give that arty I have some flukes so just need to get a few swivels . I may give a two bait umbrella rig a try this weekend as well. I am going to hunt out the beast I lost been getting 3-5 fish per outing lately but all under 2 pounds. Tuesday got one on spinner, one on crank and one wacky rigged. Yesterday all 3 wacky rigged under a bridge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.