NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use this type? I tried this one today and was surprised. It felt very good in my hand while cleaning Trout. I am doubtful it would work well for flounder. I wish it made the Trout taste like flounder

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I don't care for the taste of trout much either. Its fishy unless you cook it quick after catch to me. Never seen a knife like that. Almost looks like a skinning knife.

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
Looks may be deceiving I would like to see someone using one. Do you have any U-Tube links What brand is it? I like my electric as long as there is power available. Another plus for River's Edge Campground.

Darrell

·
Banned
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It actually worked great for both filet and skinning. I'm not sold on it for cleaning fish-just wondered if others used this type of blade. I cleaned the Trout whole and started the blade right next to the top fins and the whole blade just slit the meat along the bone. I just had to move the blade back/forth a small amount, hit the spine and went over it Cutting toward the tail etc. Same way I do this with a regular knife but this blade laid along the bones and took less movement while taking all the meat.
I think it is a Japanese design but works similarly to the Eskimo type knives but is much thinner.
Personally Trout tastes and smells very fishy to me so I prefer many other fish too Trout. I know several people that are not crazy about eating Trout.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Uhhh, if you want to eat fish that taste like flounder ....... well ....... why not go flounder fishing?? All the flounder I've ever caught, cleaned & cooked tasted like flounder ...... you know, just sayin - not flaming.

Reactions: mikeski

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Trout make great fishcakes though :)

Reactions: dbeam and mikeski

·
Banned
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was actually flounder fishing and caught countless 10-12" trout with one 17" that was lost I guess. Also caught 4 flounder and 3 were 13" and one was 14". IMO a 14" flounder has very little meat on it so I only keep one if it is super fat which I have found to be few and far between.
Anyway I like the knife. It's something different to try if nothing else. I have many knives as most here likely do and there is no single knife that does everything and some are better than others for certain fish and certain cleaning methods. I'm always open to giving different knives a chance IYKWIM.
+1 on the fish cakes. If I had a limit of Trout I'd have likely made a batch but I only make them if I have enough fish to make at least a dozen fish cakes.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
I was actually flounder fishing and caught countless 10-12" trout with one 17" that was lost I guess. Also caught 4 flounder and 3 were 13" and one was 14". IMO a 14" flounder has very little meat on it so I only keep one if it is super fat which I have found to be few and far between.
I'm assuming your post is a typo, if not flounder have to be 15 inches to keep.

·
Registered
444 Posts
That knife looks to be more geared to cutting veges and the like. The height of the blade, the way it curves looks like some variation of a chef's knife. A fillet knife, or boning kinfe, is going to be long and thin, the height of the blade will be about half the size of the handle. The idea is the maneuverablility of the blade while cutting meat so that you can remove the bones. The knife in the picture would work I'm sure, just as a 8" chefs knife would, but it's not ideal for this use. I was always taught to use the correct tool for the job...you wouldn't unscrew a phillips screw with a flat head, if you had both phillips and flat screwdrivers to work with would you?

·
Banned
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That knife looks to be more geared to cutting veges and the like. The height of the blade, the way it curves looks like some variation of a chef's knife. A fillet knife, or boning kinfe, is going to be long and thin, the height of the blade will be about half the size of the handle. The idea is the maneuverablility of the blade while cutting meat so that you can remove the bones. The knife in the picture would work I'm sure, just as a 8" chefs knife would, but it's not ideal for this use. I was always taught to use the correct tool for the job...you wouldn't unscrew a phillips screw with a flat head, if you had both phillips and flat screwdrivers to work with would you?
http://.youtube.com/watch?v=b9GHIf...skin a cat. That goes for fishes too

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
It's what you get used to. Some people prefer a limber blade while others prefer stiff blades.
If you cleaned fish for years a certain way with a certain knife....you probably aint gonna want to step outside the box much when it comes to cleaning fish. It aint just fish cleaning, it's anything.

But as for the original post, No never used one. I would like to try one. Where did you find yours?

As for the flounder vs. trout.
I'd rather have flounder myself. I don't target trout.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I like the thin blade on trout, a heavier blade on drum to get thru the ribs and anything that'll whack the head off a flounder is good enough. I quit filleting flounder a while back. Cooked whole on the grill or in the oven beats fried flounder fillets hands down in my book.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'ts most certianly an interesting knife, not sure I would have chosen it to fillet a fish! But hey it worked for you, maybe there is something to it. I was trained in culinary school specific ways to use certian knives, and each had its purpose, suppose thats why I'm a bit OCD when it comes to how to use a knife. It drives me crazy when I'm in someone elses kitchen and see them using them differentaly than I would..not saying I'm gonna come tell you how to use your knife, at all, just explaining myself.

·
Banned
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't know where mine came from. I was getting the one fillet knife that I keep inside the house out of a drawer and saw the one in the OP and thought about trying it. I took it out to my shop and put a good edge on it and liked it. There is no brand on it. It only says "Japan" and "stainless" on it. It isn't a quality knife by any stretch.
I don't like to cook at all. The only time I cook is when I catch fish. And I either make fish cakes using potatoes and baked fish etc or fish tacos, pan seared fish etc. Once in a hive on the half shell using the barbecue. I cook fish because I like to make sure it isn't overcooked. If it is overcooked I get irritated so I do it myself.
Cooking isn't for me. Food and eating don't interest me very much. I'm lucky in this respect or at least that's what I tell myself. My whole family is very "large" and I could get that way I'm sure. I still have the same waste as I did when I was 20 and at 57 that may be the only thing that's hasn't degraded IYKWIM. Also if I were to cook a lot I'd have an ocd kitchen with only overkill quality pots, pans, knives, etc etc. I have enough "hobbies" now. I don't need to try and be the cook also so long as my fish isn't tough and tasteless.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.