NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Matt and I hit HPCL today, and the bass were biting again. Matt got the two biggest, back to back casts with a floating worm!! (won't ever hear the end of that, lol) I had a nice fish throw the worm, but got into the floating worm act with a couple of my own. I got one at the dock, a little one pound bruiser that fought like a champ! Then the fish started on the speedcraws, and we put several more in the boat one to two pounds. I got the crappie on a speedcraw too, lol. A final ten fish day.

Good day out there, and I will be back out there again tomorrow!

Fin Fish Electric blue Marine biology Ray-finned fish
Water Plant Fisherman Watercourse Fish
Water Plant Sleeve Grass Lake
Hand Shoe Arm Shorts Water

Almost forgot! Saw DC ANGLER out there today, and believe he was getting them too!

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Nice day of fishing!! Was wondering what water clarity you use the green pumpkin speedcraw in? Tried it on Norman this weekend and had more luck with watermelon red flake. Wondering if it was too clear??

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The translucent colors work better in clearer conditions, but it is rare that NC lakes get too clear for green pumpkin. It's a natural looking color, and will catch fish in most conditions. Zoom makes this bait in green pumpkin with a lot of variants, like gp purple flake, blue flake, silver flake (magic) and others. Blue flake is my favorite. If water conditions are stained, I dip the pincers in chartreuse dye.
Doubt if it was too clear there. Maybe the watermelon bait happened to fall nearer to the fish? Who knows, bass are finicky critters. But green pumpkin never lets me down. For river smallies, I will throw plain old pumpkin, there's something about that subtle brown color in rivers.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Jerry- That's what I was thinking. Just thought it was odd how I worked various points, rock piles, and brush piles with both and only had bites on watermelon. Definitely not knocking green pumpkin, I am trying to gain more confidence with that color and bait but was just wondering what the master thought about it all. I'll be giving it some more love this weekend hopefully she gives me some back!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good to see ya Sun Jerry! Ended up getting 7 in the boat largest little over 2lbs no clue as to how many I missed. Had one crush a jig on the tip of a tree that felt like a brute but spit the hook. I left out around 12 barley made it back to the landing for some unknown reason fried my trolling mtr plug & connectors. Got that all replaced with fresh & it's good to go.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Thanks for the report, Jerry. I'm hoping to make it out there this weekend, or maybe this Monday depending on family circumstances / child care.

Abert, I have caught enough fish on green pumpkin at Belews Creek and Smith Mountain Lake that I don't think it's necessarily a bad color for clear water, but if you find there is something they will hit better than something else, no harm going with it. I will say that if I'm fishing deeper spots, I think the darker color is less obtrusive, but shallow clear water often calls for the more transluscent hues. Bronchotwisterjim does very well on watermelon varieties at Belews, and he's outfished me many times there.

Reactions: Abert43
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.