NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from another newcomer. I like to fish mostly fresh or brackish waters from the central part on NC to the coast. I release most all my freshwater catches, but I do like a fresh flounder or speckled trout whenever I get the chance to go toward the coast. I'm wondering if any of you fish in the Washington/Aurora area in the Pamlico River? I used to go there years ago but I know things have changed there a lot just like everywhere else. I have a 16 ft. Carolina Skiff rigged for lake/river fishing.

Regards, CV

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Welcome cvwillis!

I think sundrop is our resident "resident" around those parts, but I'm sure there are many others too.

Make sure you let us know what's going on - plenty of reports & plenty of pics. (Some of us are forced to spend a lot more time on the computer than on the water and we live for the reports.) And don't be afraid to ask questions!

Looking forward to your participation out here...

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Hello CVWILLIS and welcome! Nice to see a neighbor for a change!
I'm new to the Pamilico/Tar river so I can only say that the fishing changes greatly as the influx of freshwater (salinity) and water temp/flow changes. I have found the area right around washington to be very "finicky" and I seem to do better if I go upriver towards Grimesland and apply freshwater tactics or go downriver towards Blount's Bay and apply saltwater tactics. But I have caught small flounder and Crappie in the same spot...Up river is closer for me so I have been doing more of that. I need some help on the saltwater end as that is much newer fishing to me.
I have a 15ft walkthru trihull that does well for the investment but has its limitations as far as shallow draft so I have to be careful. I also use alot of live/fresh bait as well as the usual artificials.(depends on how hard I want to work..LOL)
I haven't been down around Aurora yet but I look forward to going soon.
I hope we can share info !!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Welcome to the boards CV. I've only heard that there is striper fishing in that area around the bridges and I think it is seasonal. It seems like there was an article in the NC Sportsman magazine about that area so you may could look it up in their archives online. Good luck!
Gery

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Sundrop and Hunter's Haven, Thanks for your most kind replies. Sundrop, I'm familiar with the locations you mention, but again it has been some time since I've been fishing there. Actually I grew up in the Craven Co. area before migrating west to make my living. Now I'm retired and have time to try and re-live some of those old good times I had fishing in your area. I actually fished pretty much along highway 264 all the way up to where 64 meets just before going over to the outer banks. I used to stop by Swanquarter and do some fishing in Rose Bay. The boat I have now is a pretty good choice if one wants to do both light salt water and freshwater fishing. It tends to get a little bumpy in rough water because the bottom is flat. One thing that is nice about it is it will go in pretty shallow water. I pretty much like to stay away from waves and stay around the creeks, lakes and rivers. You boat sounds fine to me, I bet you enjoy it a lot. Nice hearing from you.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I still hear alot about Manteo and fishing the bridges as well. You'll find that alot of water access has been lost around here due to the booming construction but you still have Clarks Neck and the city ramp here in Washington, Dinahs landing by Goose Creek state park and others. Whichard's Beach is gone. Farther up 264 the old Rose Bay sold out but the NC Wildllllife are restoring the ramp there and it will be public access. I've heard alot about the launch at Stumpy Point being good access as well...

·
Registered
670 Posts
There's also a little magazine called NC Game & Fish that features alot of local areas. Alot of times they tell you where to launch and when to fish. I usually stop by the mag rack while at the grocery store to see if there is anything local being reported for the month. If not I check back the next.
Gery

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.