NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all !! I am back in carolina (sanford) after 18 years in colorado, been fishing or trout all those years. I work in Chapel Hill, live in Sanford, and regularly fish at Jordan Lake on my way home. Been catching some big crappie and large bass off the bank, using spinnerbaits. Currently I dont have a boat, the fish are grateful, cuz they know, when I do thier days are numbered. I really have a desire to catch some chain pike, or jack fish, really dont know where to find them. Any suggestions? Looking forward to hearing advice from real "catchers of fish" There is alot of info on this site, just have to figger out how to filter it. I know there are alot of things I need to learn about these local fish, but I learn fast.(except on how to throw a backlasher, er I mean baitcaster) oh and how my right arm is now longer than my left from the cast net practice.
Tight lines and my ears are open.......
Colorado

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Welcome Carolina....um I mean - Colorado! :) Anyway - welcome to NC Angler.

What type fishing your looking to do first now that you are back in Carolina (freshwater lakes, stream, rivers, saltwater nearshore, off shore, etc)? As you know we have everthing from mountain trout to blue Marlin in Carolina.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Welcome to the site. See how long it takes you to change the name to Carolina as topsail said.:D

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
welcome home!

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Welcome Colorado,

Chain Pickerel - there seems to be a general Jack-hatred among the population, but I like 'em too. I've caught a couple of them in Harris (in only a handful of trips - decent odds). Caught 2 at Falls (in hundreds of trips - bad odds). I've heard of them being present in Hyco and the Wake Forest water supply reservoir but can't confirm. I've also heard that they're more numerous in mystical places down east, like mill ponds and other undocumented waters. I haven't caught enough of them to recommend a sure thing. I guess given your location, I'd try Harris with small spinnerbaits around riprap and weedbed edges.

Curious to hear what other folks have to add on this.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Welcome!

I too have caught Jacks at Harris but not in big numbers. They like Rattle Traps.

I catch one occasionally in the small rivers and larger creeks.

Mark

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
I don't fish traps much, but haven't found anything Jacks don't like - I think I've caught one each on texas rigged worm, jerkbait, spinnerbait, horny toad, and shallow crankbait. I don't think they're very discriminating in what they'll chase. 4 of the 5 came in the spring, if there's a pattern to be had among my limited experiences.

Anybody else have some Chain Pickerel secrets? Good spots or techniques? I haven't caught one out of the kayak yet - need to get them checked off the list.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Jeff, on Harris we've caught them chain pickerel. Just used a very short lipp'd bait or non lipped plug (Bill Dance Swimmin Image is what we used). Even caught one on a rubber frog on the edge of some lillys and grass in a cove on the far east part of the lake (that finger of the lake that runs parallel with the dam heading east and get way back up in there).

Anything flashy seems to work for them fresh water cuda's, a large shiner a foot or so under a bobber will work too

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.