NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow fishermen!
I've just been told of your site and am looking forward to picking up tips and sharing fishing info from down here at the coast as it comes my way.
What I've seen in the forums is impressive.
I lived on Bogue Banks for the past 29 years and enjoyed both surf fishing and inland freshwater fishing in eastern NC during that time. I enjoy both topwater bass fishing and live bait fishing for trout and flounder in the White Oak (it's both salt and fresh within 3 miles of my house).
Hope you all have a great fall season.
Seabiscuit

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Welcome aboard Seabiscuit! We look forward to swapping tricks, tips, stories and photos with you!

I grew up in Jacksonville and we had a place on Emerald Isle were I spent many summers when I was growing up. I leave near Topsail now and fish down this way. I fish inshore and near shore in my 19' CC.

Tight Lines!

Mike

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I'm glad you decided to join us. We are starting to get the gaps filled in now with expierenced fishermen. That really helps because my only expierence with the White Oak River was a creekside shad fry early one spring ('83) with some local netters that a friend and I happened to cross trails with. Pretty memorable but I didn't learn a darn thing about the river. I always thought that neck of the woods would be a great place to kayak and maybe chase some fish. The sounds in that area are really fishy looking but I never fished the sound there or river. Maybe I can get some clues from you about the fishing there. AL

·
Registered
523 Posts
:D Glad to see you checked out the site! I expect to be down your way. Friday evening.
How's the river after the storm? Have seen any more baitfish or shrimp schooling?

PH

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since building on the White Oak, I rarely fish Bogue Sound or the surf, but find more fishing fun than I've enjoyed in years on the river. We are at a point where "the big water" (salty) narrows to what most people think of when they think "river"...small, winding and fresh (reminds me of the Wacammaw in water color - tannic - and looks). Lots of good bass fishing north of the Stella, NC bridge and lots of good trout, flounder, drum and a few stripers, toward the Swansboro bridge. Right now, gobs of 1 1/2" to 2" menhaden, a few finger mullet and corn cob mullet, and a generous amount of green (grass) shrimp (the brown shrimp have gone for the season). We've been using menhaden mostly catching flounder, but I see more and more guys tossing Mann's grubs and bass asassins for trout. Last year, we started catching trout around the first of October...can't wait!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Parrothead, for telling me about this site. I was reluctant to check it out at first (lots of dissappointments in cyberspace) but after lurking around a few days, decided it was one site that promised lots of good information on a subject you and I both enjoy.
I'm gonna pass the address along to members of the DS Fishing team...at least to the ones who can read. Ha! :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
I was just interesting in seeing if you tell the same lies online as everywhere else!;) I'll have to sneak over and welcome jsilvester too. If you can't manage a tall tale, I know he will oblige.

When I first signed on, several NC Angler Old-Timers encouraged me to find some more Bogue Banks area fisherman to sign up. Thanks for helping with that challenge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.