NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I may be coming to NC for a new career opportunity. I am a seasoned walleye, steelhead and salmon fisherman on big water, trolling, jigging, cranking etc.

I have so many questions it's hard to get started but heres my first question. So if I want to get started with some inshore fishing what's your base equipment?

Is a 24' Sea Ray Weekender (not sure if it's coming) enough boat most days?
What kind of rods... I have Trolling rods/reels 25-30lb test types?
Base lures for trolling inshore?

Did I mention my one question is in twenty gazillion parts ...lol

I am not trying to boil the ocean here ...lol... just trying to get an idea of what I should start looking at to gear up....

I promise to post open seats and share my experiences here much as I have with the Ohio Game Fishing forum in return

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Hi duckman. Welcome to NCangler.com and welcome in advance to North Carolina! We look forward to your participation here. I'll let the other guys with more inshore expertise tackle your questions. I moved your thread to the Meet and Greet forum since it is your first post. Again, welcome aboard! ;)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Oh no!!!.............not another yankee! Just kidding! I married one.....LOL! From New York City on top of that. How did a NC ******* end up with a girl from New York City?.....I have no idea!

Welcome Duckman!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for a warm welcome! Having lived in Colorado I understand what is like to have invaders.... lol ... we used to have a love/hate relationship with the Texan's .... come spend your money and leave please ...lol...

Oh no!!!.............not another yankee! .... How did a NC ******* end up with a girl from New York City?..

Welcome Duckman!!!
My wife calls me a "Ruppy" .... that's what happens when you put an education and manners on a *******! Guess what still comes through?

Do you utilize moderated chats with experts on this forum? We have a few pros up here that every once in a while will give up an hour to answer questions... talk about learning quickly...

anyway .. thanks again for replying ....

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
That is something that we would love to develop Duckman. Can you give me an idea of how it works or a link to a site that does it that I can check out? We have the chat rooms already but I'd like to see if this is being done in a more sophisticated but user friendly way. Thanks for the suggestion!
Do you utilize moderated chats with experts on this forum? We have a few pros up here that every once in a while will give up an hour to answer questions... talk about learning quickly...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
The YANKEE's are comin' the YANKEE's are comin!!! :eek:

Welcome Duck and not sure your boat would be the best thing for inshore fishin. Since you dont know if it'd make the trip or not, I'd say sell and buy one for what you plan over here... just me thinkin out loud..

What I use for inshore (just me) is a graphite type rod in the 6 or 7 ft flavor and I have on the rods Okuma AV-40's, Penn 4300ss, Shimano Sedona 2000's and a few Shimano (cant remember the name) 4000's. Everything is test between 8 and maybe 12 lb test. I would probably think my gear would be considered medium inshore standard. (???)

Surf guys probably kick it in the 20 lb test range (plus or minus)

Near shore tackle from a boat would be in the 20 and 30 lb test type gear (Penn 320LD, Okuma TG-15, Shimano TLD's...etc..)

Offshore 20 plus miles out type fishin usually calls for 30 lb test and on up to 130 class tackle

I know it's very general, but I'm sure folks would be happy to chime in on where/how/what type tackle/gear they use to give you a better idea of what you'll get yourself into.

Welcome on!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.