NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '84 150 Merc. The shop manual seems pretty straight foward(famous last words) on replacing the starter. It seems like the motor is taking longer and longer to turn over in the morning 1st start. After starting it and running it the spot it always starts back up on the first turn of the key. Does this sound like the beginning of a starter problem?I know she's old, but when she gets warmed up she runs great. Is this a shadetree job?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Judging from what I know on automobiles, this doen't sound like starter trouble to me. Usually when a starter begins to go bad, it will make a quick grinding noise that gets worse over time, or it will hesitates to catch or does nothing at all. If it's just taking longer for the engine to turn over, that sounds more like a fuel/carburator thing. If the starter is turning slow/sluggish, check your battery.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Check the battery as the others said. If that s ok you may be losing a bit of compression due to rings sticking or poor combustion due to carbon build-up.
You need to do a good de-carbon on the engine and fresh spark plugs. I use a product called Seafoam in my fuel and also use a spray product they make called "Deep Creep" You can buy them at most auto parts places.
For a serious once a season cleaning I do this...

1 can of Seafoam per 6 gal gas. ( I only use 6gal of gas for this cleaning)

*Run the engine for a few minutes until you think you have pulled the mix into the fuel system well, rev it some if you can.

* Pull the sparkplugs, spray "Deep Creep" in each cylinder heavily ( you'll use up a whole can in 6 cylinders) Put old plugs back in and let it sit at least a few hours or overnight.

* Run engine again for a few minutes ( best if you can run it out hard on the water or have adequate waterflow to rev it up safely)

* Top off your fuel tank, add another can of Seafoam if you have capacity over 18 gal.

* Install new spark plugs and you are ready to roll!!

I add 1/2 can of Seafoam to every third tank ( I have 12gal tank)
I also use it in my final fuel up before storage and run it through the engine well. It is better than Stabil but I add some of that too to be safe.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I've only changed the plugs once in the last three years since I've owned it. De-carbed. I've never done it and who knows how long it's been. I'll give it a try and maybe that's all it needs. If I ever need to start this thing up with the muffs on with the garden hose should I have a steady pee stream coming out as if I was on the lake?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
yes I think the Mercs "pee".... I'm an Evinrude man myself and mine discharges through the exhaust in the center of the prop.

Reactions: Keith

·
Registered
84 Posts
Change the plugs. 3 years is too long if you use it regularly. I changed the plus in my old 140 Merc every year. Money well spent. Seafoam is good stuff too.

·
Registered
301 Posts
yeah, you definitely want to see the "pee" stream coming from the motor...make sure you don't cut the water up too high because in my experience it will not suck the water up like it should and you will get some droplets instead of a stream

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
The starting thing just sounds like a Merc to me.:eek: I change my plugs every two or three months, along with the lower unit oil in my Merc. Mine can be down right hateful to start the first time. It is an '05 model.:eek: Once she is going though, it will take you anywhere.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the reply's Wow every two-three months on changing the plugs? Is this common with most boat owners or just something that you do? I looked at the plugs the other day and besides having some oil on them seemed ok. Two to three is something I can handle doing if it means a better running motor. Just wondering

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Thanks for the reply's Wow every two-three months on changing the plugs? Is this common with most boat owners or just something that you do? I looked at the plugs the other day and besides having some oil on them seemed ok. Two to three is something I can handle doing if it means a better running motor. Just wondering
Mine gets run 4-5 days a week. It doesn't set idle very long. That is why I change mine so often.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I changed mine at 500 hours but I have a 4 stroke if that makes a difference. BTW - it was hard to tell there was any wear on them at all and no carbon build-up either. I almost left them in but decided to go ahead and change them anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.